Best way to approach sequences and series

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding sequences and series due to their lack of a clear equation-solving approach. However, it is mentioned that similar to solving derivatives and integrals, there are tests that can be applied to determine convergence.
kylera
I get the impression that unlike solving derivatives and integrals, sequences and series do not have a lot of...should I say...find-the-equation-and-solve-your-way element -- sorry if that comes out wrong. Maybe it seems to be less "rote math" and because of this, I'm having a hard time trying to grasp it. Can anyone provide some tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's not that different from solving derivatives and integrals: you have a bunch of tests for determining when a series converge. Just apply every test you know on after the other, like you would apply the different integration techniques to solve an integral.

Related to Best way to approach sequences and series

1. What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern, while a series is the sum of all the numbers in a sequence. In other words, a sequence is a set of terms, while a series is the sum of those terms.

2. How do I determine if a sequence or series is convergent or divergent?

A sequence or series is convergent if the terms or the sum approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. It is divergent if the terms or the sum do not approach a specific value.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

In an arithmetic sequence, each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term. In a geometric sequence, each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value.

4. How can I find the sum of a finite arithmetic or geometric series?

For an arithmetic series, the sum can be found by using the formula: Sn = n/2(2a + (n-1)d) where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference. For a geometric series, the sum can be found by using the formula: Sn = a(r^n - 1)/(r-1) where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. What are some real-world applications of sequences and series?

Sequences and series are used in many fields such as finance, physics, and computer science. In finance, they can be used to calculate compound interest. In physics, they are used to describe motion and other natural phenomena. In computer science, they are used in algorithms and data structures.