Best way self study real analysis?

In summary, In October of this year i will start with math major and i decided to prepare myself in spear time. In my faculty there is no such thing as Calculus but rather you go strait to the analysis and you pick up calculus along. Subjects that have most ECTS (Grading system in EU) points are Anlysis 1A,1B,2A and 2B where each lasts one semester i.e. in total two years. And in third year i have Analysis 3A,3B and all of these courses are proof based.
Government$
In October of this year i will start with math major and i decided to prepare myself in spear time. In my faculty there is no such thing as Calculus but rather you go strait to the analysis and you pick up calculus along. (There is singe variable calculus in high school). In first two years subjects that have most ECTS (Grading system in EU) points are Anlysis 1A,1B,2A and 2B where each lasts one semester i.e. in total two years. And in third year i have Analysis 3A,3B and all of these courses are proof based.

Topics for Analysis 1A/1B is single variable calculus and series and for Analysis 2A/2B multivariable calculus and things like multiple remain integral and Fourier series. And for Analysis 3A/3B topics are measure theory and functional analysis.

To prepare my self for Anlysis 1/2 i decided to go through following:
1. How to prove it by daniel j velleman
2. Understanding Analysis by Stephen Abbott
3. Baby Rudin

1. Do you suggest me to add something or to use some different material?
2. And what is the best way to learn RA? The way i see it it is best for me to read definition and theorem, read and understand proof and then to try to prove same theorem myself and then move on to the exercises?

Physics news on Phys.org
For analysis 1/2 I recommend Spivak's books "Calculus" and "Calculus on Manifolds."

I too began studying analysis as an undergraduate with Rudin, but I only started to enjoy it and see its beauty once I found Spivak.

I think Abbott will be more useful than Rudin, or a useful supplement. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum of user friendliness.

One should be aware however that after the standard Riemann integral, Abbott treats the "generalized Riemann integral" which is a non standard topic, whereas Rudin discusses the more usual Lebesgue integral.

Last edited:
dx said:
For analysis 1/2 I recommend Spivak's books "Calculus" and "Calculus on Manifolds."

I too began studying analysis as an undergraduate with Rudin, but I only started to enjoy it and see its beauty once I found Spivak.

So you mean to use Spivak's textbooks instead of Abbott or to just add Spivak to the mix?

mathwonk said:
I think Abbott will be more useful than Rudin, or a useful supplement. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum of user friendliness.

I know that Rudin doesn't have great rep for user friendliness. I thought using Abbott first as an intro and then to study Rudin.

Just add it to the mix. Its always good to see the same thing explained by different people. (I've never read Abbott by the way.)

Yoou may find the video lectures of Prof. Francis Su from Harvey Mudd College useful. Hes on YouTube.

Related to Best way self study real analysis?

1. What is the best way to approach self-studying real analysis?

The best way to approach self-studying real analysis is to first familiarize yourself with the fundamentals of calculus, as real analysis builds upon these concepts. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematical proofs and logic. From there, it is recommended to work through a textbook or online course that provides clear explanations, examples, and practice problems. It is also helpful to supplement your learning with additional resources such as videos, lectures, or study groups.

2. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying real analysis?

The amount of time needed to self-study real analysis varies for each individual. It is important to set aside a consistent amount of time each day or week for studying, and to stick to a schedule. The more effort and time you put into studying, the better understanding you will have of the subject.

3. What are some helpful tips for understanding difficult concepts in real analysis?

One helpful tip for understanding difficult concepts in real analysis is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. Take the time to fully understand each step and concept before moving on to the next. It can also be helpful to create visual aids or diagrams to better understand the concepts. Additionally, discussing the concepts with others or seeking help from a tutor or professor can also aid in understanding difficult concepts.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when self-studying real analysis?

One common mistake to avoid when self-studying real analysis is rushing through the material and not fully understanding the concepts. It is important to take the time to thoroughly understand each concept before moving on. It is also important to not solely rely on memorization, but to understand the underlying principles and logic behind the concepts. Additionally, it is important to not skip over practice problems, as they are essential for solidifying understanding and identifying any areas of weakness.

5. How can I assess my progress when self-studying real analysis?

One way to assess progress when self-studying real analysis is to regularly test yourself with practice problems and quizzes. It can also be helpful to periodically review past material to ensure understanding is retained. Additionally, seeking feedback from a tutor or professor can provide valuable insight into your progress and areas that may need more focus. Lastly, setting goals and tracking your progress can also help assess how far you have come in your self-study journey.