Best shape for photon tracking software

In summary, the speaker needs to determine the best boundary shape for tracking photons emitted from a cesium 137 disk source, which will be hitting a point detector 50 cm away. This boundary is necessary to minimize computing power when tracking approximately 10 million individual simulated photons. The speaker mentions the need to account for scattering and explains that a cone shape is not optimal according to their professor. They also provide a suggestion for using Monte-Carlo code, such as MCNP with a "PTRAC" card or PSR.
sammy g
I need to determine the best boundary shape for tracking photons being emitted from a cesium 137 DISK SOURCE that would be hitting a POINT DETECTOR 50 cm away. The cesium is not contained by anything, it is only traveling through air. What I mean by boundary shape is: the software tracks individual simulated photons (about 10 million of them) so in order to minimize computing power, I have to create a boundary to stop the tracking if that photon isn't going to hit the detector. I need to account for scattering so a cone is not optimal according to my professor. I am aware that incident photons from compton scattering may veer off in different directions. you can imagine the disk source to be in the yz plane and the point being along the x axis, completely perpendicular to the source. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum or anything, this is my first time posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
You can do that with Monte-Carlo code. For example MCNP with a "PTRAC" card,
PSR

Related to Best shape for photon tracking software

1. What is the best shape for a photon tracking software?

The best shape for a photon tracking software would be a sphere. This allows for the most accurate tracking of photons in all directions.

2. Why is a sphere the best shape for photon tracking?

Spheres have a uniform distribution of surface area, making it easier to capture photons from all directions. This is important for accurate tracking and analysis of photon movement.

3. Can other shapes be used for photon tracking software?

While a sphere is the most commonly used shape for photon tracking software, other shapes such as cubes or cylinders can also be used. However, these shapes may not provide as accurate results as a sphere.

4. How does the shape of the tracking software affect its performance?

The shape of the tracking software can greatly affect its performance. A spherical shape allows for more accurate tracking of photons, while other shapes may have blind spots or uneven tracking capabilities.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a spherical shape for photon tracking software?

One potential drawback of using a spherical shape for photon tracking software is that it may be more complex and difficult to design and implement compared to other shapes. It may also require more computational power to analyze the data collected from a spherical tracking software.