Solving for Coordinates at 35 Degree Angle: Derivative & Next Steps

• Thread starter Arienne
  • Start date
In summary, my analytical geometry teacher is teaching us how to calculate derivatives using the delta process. The problem is that my teacher is incorrect and what I have calculated is the "difference quotient". To find the derivative itself, take the limit as deltax goes to 0. In this particular case, that's very easy: it is exactly the same as setting deltax equal to 0: 0.054x +8.3.
Arienne
We are currently interpreting derivatives using the delta process in my analytical geometry class. The problem is: Calculate the coordinates (x,y) of the point at which the graph y= 0.027x^2 + 8.3x -7.5 is at a 35 degree angle from the horizontal. I have figured the derivative to be equal to 0.054x + 0.027 delta x +8.3
Question #1: Is the derivative correct?
Question #2: What do I do now?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not the derivative. What you have calculated is the "difference quotient":
(f(x+ deltax)- f(x))/detax. To find the derivative itself, take the limit as deltax goes to 0. In this particular case, that's very easy: it is exactly the same as setting deltax equal to 0: 0.054x +8.3.

You should know that the derivative is the same as the "slope of the tangent line" and that the slope is equal to tan(θ) where θ is the angle the line makes with the x-axis (horizontal). In this problem you are told that that is 35 degrees.

Find the tangent of 35 degrees, set 0.054x +8.3 equal to that, and solve for x.

I'd like to add to HallsofIvy's comment a link to concepts you are probably familiar with from analytical geometry:

When your teacher introduced you to "the derivative", I would think that he/she first talked about secants/secant lines and then about tangents/tangent lines. (?)

In particular, you may have learned that the slope of the tangent line at some point of a curve may be found as the limit of the slopes of secant lines associated with that point when the distance between the two points (on the curve) defining a secant line goes to zero.

To make maths out of this:
Let the two points on the curve be:
[tex]P_{1}=(x,y(x)), P_{2}=(x+\bigtriangleup{x},y(x+\bigtriangleup{x}))[/tex]
Since you've got two points, [tex]P_{1},P_{2}[/tex], you can evidently draw a straight line between them!
This straight line is called the secant line S with respect to the points [tex]P_{1},P_{2}[/tex].

Now, I would think that you know that a straight line L in the plane usually can be represented as a function Y(X)=Ax+B, where Y(X) is the vertical coordinate Y at a point at L, while X is the horizontal coordinate of the same point at L.
A and B are constants for L (equal values for all choices of X!); B is called the Y-intercept (lies on the Y-axis, X=0), while A is called the slope of L.
Going back to our secant line S, how can I find its slope?
We know 2 things about S:
a) If X=x, then Y(X)=y(x) (i.e, we're at the point [tex]P_{1}[/tex])
b) If [tex] X=x+\bigtriangleup{x}[/tex], then [tex]Y(X)=y(x+\bigtriangleup{x})[/tex] (i.e, we're at the point [tex]P_{2}[/tex])

Going back to the general equation for a line L, we must therefore have for S:
[tex]A*x+B=y(x), A*(x+\bigtriangleup{x})+B=y(x+\bigtriangleup{x})[/tex]
Solving these equations for A and B, we find:
[tex]A=\frac{y(x+\bigtriangleup{x})-y(x)}{\bigtriangleup{x}}[/tex]
[tex]B=y(x)-A*x[/tex]

Hence, we may represent the Y-coordinate of a point on S, [tex]S_{Y}[/tex], as a function of the horizontal coordinate, X, like this:
[tex]S_{Y}(X)= \frac{y(x+\bigtriangleup{x})-y(x)}{\bigtriangleup{x}}X+y(x)-A*x[/tex]

This is the way in which the secant line S can be represented in the usual manner of a line L.

We are interested in the slope of S, [tex]\frac{y(x+\bigtriangleup{x})-y(x)}{\bigtriangleup{x}}[/tex]
This is called the quotient of differences, as HallsofIvy says.
In order to find the slope of the tangent line at point [tex]P_{1}[/tex], we evaluate the slope expression from S as we let the difference between the values of horizontal coordinates of [tex]P_{1},P_{2}[/tex] shrink to zero.
(That difference is [tex]\bigtriangleup{x}[/tex]).

Geometrically, this limiting process has the interpration that we evaluate the slopes of different secant lines which have [tex]P_{1}[/tex] in common, but where each secant line's [tex]P_{2}[/tex] is chosen to be progressively closer to [tex]P_{1}[/tex].
The tangent line's slope is found when [tex]P_{2}[/tex] becomes [tex]P_{1}[/tex].

The derivative of y at x, [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex], is the name of the slope of the tangent line at [tex]P_{1}[/tex].

Last edited:

What does it mean when someone says "I'm new here"?

When someone says "I'm new here", it means that they have recently joined or arrived at a place, group, or community and are not yet familiar with it.

Why do people say "I'm new here"?

People say "I'm new here" to let others know that they may need some help or guidance in navigating the place or group and to introduce themselves as a new member.

What should I do when someone says "I'm new here"?

If someone says "I'm new here", it is helpful to offer them assistance or information to help them get acquainted with the place or group. This could include introducing them to others, showing them around, or providing them with any necessary resources.

How can I make someone feel welcome when they say "I'm new here"?

You can make someone feel welcome by being friendly and approachable, offering to help them get settled, and including them in conversations and activities. It's also important to be patient and understanding as they adjust to their new surroundings.

Is saying "I'm new here" a good way to start a conversation?

Yes, saying "I'm new here" can be a great way to start a conversation as it opens up the opportunity for others to introduce themselves and get to know the new person. It also shows that the new person is interested in getting to know others in the group.