Car Sickness: Causes & Relief with Newspapers

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, car sickness is caused by conflicting visual and inner ear cues when the body is subjected to movements in different directions. The standard remedy is a placebo, but a better solution is to provide entertainment such as talking and singing while driving. The cause is also related to boredom and the distraction of being entertained can help alleviate the symptoms. The phenomenon can affect people of all ages, with some being more prone to it due to a sensitive middle ear. Reading while in a moving car can worsen the symptoms, as the visual clues of stationary surroundings conflict with the inner ear's sense of movement. Drivers are less likely to experience car sickness as they are more focused on the road and have a better sense of control over the movements.
Jack
What causes car sickness and how is sitting on a newspaper suposed to help?

Biology news on Phys.org
Newspaper there for "sickness bag" origami.

Jack, what age is the oldest person ever having reported car sickness to you? I suspect, about 5~6 yo.
Car sickness = boredom.
Standard remedy = placebo.
Better remedy: entertainment.
I always talk & sing funny when driving with the kids. No sickness problems!

As far as the cause goes, i'd say it's got something to do with the fluid in your inner ear wooshing round and not matching what you are observing. Your brain goes into overdrive. I'd agree with the distraction thing too. I think if you're a bit animated the subtle motions of the car would be out weighed by your actual body movements.

Raavin

Originally posted by arcnets
Jack, what age is the oldest person ever having reported car sickness to you? I suspect, about 5~6 yo.
Car sickness = boredom.
Standard remedy = placebo.
Better remedy: entertainment.
I always talk & sing funny when driving with the kids. No sickness problems!

I have experienced car sickness when driving for extended (more than 4 hours e.g.) periods.

My fiancee gets motion sickness much more often.

On my last plane trip to Florida, the other sardines must have thought I was dying by purge! How embarrasing. Having had inner ear infections when young make my vestibular very sensitive; good for imagining physics, not for experiencing air jockey. Meds don't help much. I'd rather die than to live in zero-g.

WHy has it been moved here?
I think Jack was looking for a physics answer. Not to do with sardines Loren Booda?

Physiology doesn't exactly fall under physics does it? Motion sickness is basically caused by conflicting inner ear and visual clues when the body is subjected to accelerations of movement in different directions or under conditions where visual contact with the actual outside horizon is lost. Children will be affected by this since they are too small to look out of the car window or they are too busy reading or concentrating on a puzzle. I myself get motion sick anytime that I try to read while sitting in a moving car, the best way to regain a steady stomach is by looking straight ahaid at the horizon in the direction you are moving. There are over the counter -or prescription- drugs available for those among us who are oversensitive to motion sickness.

My boss's wife quickly (<5 minutes) gets car sick when driving on a curvy road. It most certainly is a real phenomenon.

I apologize. Really didn't know so many people suffer from car sickness. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry.

I haven't had any problems with car sickness since i have ben able to drive myself, so does anybody get car sickness whilst actually driving the car?

One gets from familiarity with automobile driving a sympathetic anticipation of controlling accelerations not readily appreciated from passive passenger intuition. With my sensitive middle ear I exaggerate more than most by leaning into curves, as if I were driving a motorcycle. I would guess that motorcycle passengers, more than those of cars, adapt well to potential disequilibria.

Likes rons99
I haven't had any problems with car sickness since i have ben able to drive myself, so does anybody get car sickness whilst actually driving the car?

No, but I get it after around half an hour in the passenger seat.

yeah, i believe the rear passenger seat swings much more when turning hence perhaps the greater incidence of motion sickness.

Perhaps too, being in the passenger seat means you cannot see where you are driving and turns to be made, hence cannot adjust.

If I start reading, it gets much worse. Anybody have an explanation for that?

Originally posted by Paradox
If I start reading, it gets much worse. Anybody have an explanation for that?
As I explained, when you are reading all your visual clues tell you that you are stationary, when the organ in your middle ear is telling you that you are moving from left to right, accelerating and decellerating. These conflicting sensory inputs confuse the brain and make you carsick. This can be overcome by trying to include some of the outside horizon into your periferal view, so that you can see what is going on around you while reading the book. I just don't read :)

Originally posted by Monique
As I explained, when you are reading all your visual clues tell you that you are stationary, when the organ in your middle ear is telling you that you are moving from left to right, accelerating and decellerating. These conflicting sensory inputs confuse the brain and make you carsick. This can be overcome by trying to include some of the outside horizon into your periferal view, so that you can see what is going on around you while reading the book. I just don't read :)
Which also explains why the driver doesn't get sick but the passenger does. The passenger probably isn't looking out the windows as much.

1. What causes car sickness?

Car sickness, also known as motion sickness, is caused by a disconnect between what the eyes see and what the inner ear (responsible for balance) senses. This conflict can be exacerbated by factors such as a bumpy road, strong smells, or reading while in a moving vehicle.

2. How can newspapers help with car sickness?

Newspapers can help with car sickness by providing a visual reference point that helps to align what the eyes see with what the inner ear senses. By simply holding a newspaper or book in front of you and focusing on the words, you can reduce the disconnect and alleviate symptoms of car sickness.

3. Is there anyone who is more susceptible to car sickness?

Yes, some people are more prone to car sickness than others. Children between the ages of 2-12, pregnant women, and those with a history of migraines or inner ear problems are more likely to experience car sickness. Additionally, people who are prone to anxiety or have a fear of traveling may also be more susceptible.

4. Can car sickness be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent car sickness, such as sitting in the front seat, looking at the horizon, avoiding strong smells, and taking breaks to get fresh air. However, some people may also find relief by taking medications or using acupressure bands specifically designed for motion sickness.

5. Is car sickness dangerous?

Car sickness is not dangerous, but it can be uncomfortable and disruptive. In severe cases, it may lead to nausea, vomiting, and dizziness, which can make it difficult to travel. However, most people will recover once the car ride is over and they are no longer in motion.