Best place to study mathematical logic uk

In summary, the best place to study logic at the postgraduate level in the UK would likely be one of these universities, with Manchester being a particularly strong choice. However, it may also be beneficial to seek advice from professors and classmates at your own university, as well as researching specific universities and their programs in mathematical logic.
hmmmmm
I was wondering where the best place to study logic at postgraduate level in the UK. As far as I know it's Manchester but I could be wrong?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm16 said:
I was wondering where the best place to study logic at postgraduate level in the UK. As far as I know it's Manchester but I could be wrong?

Thanks for any help

Hi hmmm16,

Although we have a handful of British members amongst our staff and regulars, the majority of members aren't from the UK so I don't know if this is the best place for your question. In the US there are yearly rankings of universities for undergraduate and graduate studies, and I would guess that you could find them by major too but I don't know about for the UK.

If you studied in the UK for your undergrad work, can you ask your professors about this or classmates? Sorry to not be any help but I know you made another thread previously about this topic and had no replies so I wanted to chime in why I think you're not getting any advice on MHB for this question.

hmmm16 said:

Thanks for any help

http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/breakdown/breakdown20.asp

CB

Thanks for the reply Jameson. I do have people at my university to talk to but I am just trying to get as many different opinions as I can. Also as I am quite interested in mathematical logic I am looking at universities that at least have some sort of logic in their masters degree (which is surprisingly few) but there is nobody in my mathematics department that does any sort of logic so I was just looking for other opinions but I appreciate that things are quite different in the UK to the US.

Thanks for the link Captian Black but I think it is only looking at mathematical logic in philosophy departments not maths ones but thanks anyway!

Thanks again for the help!

This may be out of date (because I retired several years ago and am no longer in touch with the current scene), but the British universities whose maths depts have strong groups in mathematical logic have traditionally been Oxford, Manchester, Leeds and Queen Mary London.

Related to Best place to study mathematical logic uk

1. What universities in the UK offer the best programs in mathematical logic?

Some top universities in the UK for mathematical logic include University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, and University of Edinburgh.

2. What specific courses are offered in these universities for mathematical logic?

Each university may offer different courses, but common ones include Set Theory, Model Theory, Proof Theory, and Computability Theory.

3. Are there any research opportunities in mathematical logic at these universities?

Yes, many universities offer research opportunities for students who want to pursue a PhD in mathematical logic. You can also reach out to professors or research groups to inquire about available research projects.

4. Are there any resources or clubs for students interested in mathematical logic at these universities?

Yes, most universities have mathematical logic societies or clubs where students can meet and discuss topics related to mathematical logic. There are also various online resources such as forums, blogs, and open-access journals for students to explore.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in mathematical logic?

Graduates with a degree in mathematical logic can pursue careers in academia, research, data analysis, and computer science. They can also work in industries such as finance, technology, and engineering, as the problem-solving and critical thinking skills gained from studying mathematical logic are highly valued in these fields.