Best Multivariable Calc Textbook for self teaching

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's success in proof-based math courses and their interest in teaching themselves multivariable/vector calculus. They are a physics major but are required to take the proof-based version for math majors. The recommended textbook is Marsden and Tromba's Vector Calculus, which is praised for its "vectors first" approach and challenging problems. Another suggestion is Murray & Protter's Intermediate Calculus, but it may be too low level for someone with two proof courses already completed. The individual is encouraged to choose a more advanced textbook, such as Advanced Calculus by Friedman.
codymcleod
So i did fairly well in both calc I and II, both being proof based (for math majors, and I got an A in both). I am working a job that allows me to read at work this summer, and would like to teach myself some multivariable/vector calc. I am a physics major, but my school requires me to take the proof based version for math majors. What textbook would you recommend? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Marsden and Tromba, Vector Calculus.

This is probably the most beautiful book ever written.

MarcusAgrippa said:
Marsden and Tromba, Vector Calculus.

This is probably the most beautiful book ever written.

That's actually not a bad suggestion. It has problems that really test the material and it uses a "vectors first" approach which is nice. Reading it at work though, that would be difficult IMHO, you would need to do the problems and be quite focused.

One that you could read through but that still contains proofs is Murray & Protter - Intermediate Calculus. I think it's too low level for you because you have done two proof courses already, but if you are reading it in your spare time between phone calls or whatever, it would suffice.

I think you can choose something more grown up though. Advanced Calculus by Friedman for example.

Related to Best Multivariable Calc Textbook for self teaching

What is the best multivariable calc textbook for self-teaching?

The answer to this question depends on personal preference and learning style. However, some popular options among self-learners include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Multivariable Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards, and "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by John H. Hubbard and Barbara Burke Hubbard.

What are the key features to look for in a multivariable calc textbook for self-teaching?

Some important features to consider when choosing a multivariable calc textbook for self-teaching include clear explanations, comprehensive coverage of topics, plenty of practice problems and exercises, and supplementary materials such as online resources or study guides.

Are there any online resources or study guides that can supplement a multivariable calc textbook for self-teaching?

Yes, there are many online resources and study guides available that can supplement a multivariable calc textbook for self-teaching. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

Can a beginner successfully self-teach multivariable calc with a textbook?

Yes, it is possible for a beginner to successfully self-teach multivariable calc with a textbook, but it may take more time and effort compared to taking a traditional course. It is important to have a strong foundation in basic calculus concepts before diving into multivariable calc.

How can I determine if a particular multivariable calc textbook is suitable for self-teaching?

You can determine if a particular multivariable calc textbook is suitable for self-teaching by looking at reviews and ratings from other self-learners, browsing through the book's table of contents and sample chapters, and considering your own learning style and goals. It may also be helpful to consult with a math teacher or tutor for their recommendation.