Best Minor for a Physics Major with these goals

In summary, the speakers discuss possible career paths in economics/finance and data analysis, considering a minor in statistics and taking courses in computational physics. They also mention the demand and potential salary for data analysts, as well as the role of artificial intelligence in data analysis. The recommended degree fields for a career in data analysis are information technology, computer science, management information systems, or statistics.
grandpa2390
So I am majoring in Physics due to its flexibility (and my love of the subject), but I never intended on going into research. I finally think I've decided what I want to do. I either want to go into some sort of economics/finance (a graduate student I knew got an offer from a major bank), or I want to be some sort of analyst (I love analyzing data. At this point the data I analyze is simple stuff). Or a combination of both.

I only need 2 more courses I think to get a minor in statistics, I am wondering if there is anything else that I should consider minoring in. I thought about a minor in economics/finance, but I read someone else post that undergrad courses in those subjects are worthless, that if I would be better off taking grad level, or teaching myself from books.

any thoughts? I am scheduled to take computational physics and one of the two statistics courses I need over the summer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You tell us, what's your dream job, something that you would like to wake up to every morning? and study for that?

GurfX said:
You tell us, what's your dream job, something that you would like to wake up to every morning? and study for that?
I told you what my dream job would be... finance/economics, data analyst, or both.
is that not specific enough?

Analyst would be a cool job for my opinion, if you take computational physics and other statistical studys it would be great because analysts are in high demand which could be a bonus (More money) rather then being in finance and economics cause there is less demand i guess

GurfX said:
Analyst would be a cool job for my opinion, if you take computational physics and other statistical studys it would be great because analysts are in high demand which could be a bonus (More money) rather then being in finance and economics cause there is less demand i guess

cool. That is what I think too. most people think it is boring work, but I love collecting data from everyday things that I do and analyzing it.

so is that something I would need a master's for, or is that something I can attempt with a bachelor's degree. I am taking a course called computational physics during the summer. but it is just one course. are there typically other courses, or a progression that I would do to build my skillset in this area. like a "computational physics II". I noticed that the math department at the University of New Orleans, offers a course called Data Analytics. I am sure it will also be valuable. Can you tell me what other names these courses might typically go by that might be useful?

analyst can be a fun (if your into it) job with great pay. plus for people with majors in finance banks hire a lot of entry level grads with finance degrees to churn through paperwork. Don't expect much money at all. banks pay poverty wages for the new hires.

Analysts on the other hand are more in high demand so more cash and if you like the job its perfect. To be honest i don't know a lot about the subject but computational physics is a good one
"Data analysts compile and analyze data contained in a computer database or elsewhere to identify problems and possible solutions. They might also design and build databases to house the information they need, ensure data accuracy and make recommendations to business managers about how to improve efficiency or quality based on their findings. Many work hours might be spent sitting at a desk in front of a computer."
Common Requirements

Degree Level
Bachelor's degree, though some jobs require a master's degree

Degree Field Information technology, computer science, management information systems or statistics

I was studying some computer sciences not too long ago and there was some lectures about machine learning and how you can use a sort of artificial intelligence to easily do data analyzing it was pretty cool as the computer could sort information and create visual graphs and databases

GurfX said:
analyst can be a fun (if your into it) job with great pay. plus for people with majors in finance banks hire a lot of entry level grads with finance degrees to churn through paperwork. Don't expect much money at all. banks pay poverty wages for the new hires.

the way you worded this is confusing me when you say "plus for..."
I think I understand what you are saying, but correct me if I am wrong. I want to make sure I understand everything you are telling me.

You are saying that analyst can be a fun job with great pay.

In Contrast,
While a finance degree will easily get you a job with a bank, it will most likely be an entry level position where you churn through paperwork making poverty wages.

Analysts on the other hand are more in high demand so more cash and if you like the job its perfect. To be honest i don't know a lot about the subject but computational physics is a good one
"Data analysts compile and analyze data contained in a computer database or elsewhere to identify problems and possible solutions. They might also design and build databases to house the information they need, ensure data accuracy and make recommendations to business managers about how to improve efficiency or quality based on their findings. Many work hours might be spent sitting at a desk in front of a computer."
Common Requirements

Degree Level
Bachelor's degree, though some jobs require a master's degree

Degree Field Information technology, computer science, management information systems or statistics

I was studying some computer sciences not too long ago and there was some lectures about machine learning and how you can use a sort of artificial intelligence to easily do data analyzing it was pretty cool as the computer could sort information and create visual graphs and databases

so the type of analyst you are speaking of being high demand and paying well is a "Data Analyst", and is a computer science field. I will probably never be very strong in the computer sciences department. I took C++ and Java and I was happy when they were over. I imagined I would be using and mastering software like excel, matlab, etc. is this a field I should not consider unless I know how to program in a real programming language.

grandpa2390 said:
You are saying that analyst can be a fun job with great pay. While a finance degree will easily get you a job with a bank, it will most likely be an entry level position where you churn through paperwork making poverty wages.
Yes i did word it wrong you are correct

grandpa2390 said:
so the type of analyst you are speaking of being high demand and paying well is a "Data Analyst", and is a computer science field. I will probably never be very strong in the computer sciences department. I took C++ and Java and I was happy when they were over. I imagined I would be using and mastering software like excel, matlab, etc. is this a field I should not consider unless I know how to program in a real programming language.
Well not necessarily, you won't need to be good at programming as there are other people that can do that side of the job but just basic is fine. Excel and MATLAB are something that you would need to learn and practically master if you wanted to become a good data analyst.

But overall i don't have a lot of background knowledge about data analysts and you could research more as i did, because I'm not a great source
As i said those artificial intelligence are only being tested and could be a help to you in the future, i only recommend researching about data analysts and etc

To have success as a data analyst, you should be familiar with Five cores: programming(computer sciences), statistics(your data), machine learning(computer sciences), data crunching(brain), and data visualization (excel etc).

GurfX said:
Yes i did word it wrong you are correctWell not necessarily, you won't need to be good at programming as there are other people that can do that side of the job but just basic is fine. Excel and MATLAB are something that you would need to learn and practically master if you wanted to become a good data analyst.

But overall i don't have a lot of background knowledge about data analysts and you could research more as i did, because I'm not a great source
As i said those artificial intelligence are only being tested and could be a help to you in the future, i only recommend researching about data analysts and etc

I don't like the way you bolded those 3 words. I hope I am not trying your patience :). I will research now that you have given me enough to get started. thanks :)

great, but what you what do you mean by "I don't like the way you bolded those 3 words."

• Data analyst (entry level): $50,000-$75,000
  • Data analyst (experienced): $65,000-$110,000
  • Data scientist: $85,000-$170,000
  • Database administrator (entry level): $50,000-$70,000
  • Database administrator (experienced): $70,000-$120,000
  • Data engineer (junior/generalist): $70,000-$115,000
  • Data engineer (domain expert): $100,000-$165,000
just something i read

GurfX said:
great, but what you what do you mean by "I don't like the way you bolded those 3 words."

I mean it makes me nervous. like I am getting worried. You know how you see rain clouds and you say, "I don't like the look of those clouds". the impending doom. I see those bolded words and I think, this person is getting frustrated with me.

hahaha nah, i just like to make things clearer to understand. I'm rarely busy or anything. i have a high tolerance to frustration so its fine

GurfX said:
just something i read
What about Data Architect?

Data architects define how the data will be stored, consumed, integrated and managed by different data entities and IT systems, as well as any applications using or processing that data in some way

is that considered an analyst? or do the just program the databases and stuff for analysts to use?

"The average Data Architect salary is $100,118"

Well look at data architects and data analysts
remove the word data now

GurfX said:
"The average Data Architect salary is $100,118"

Well look at data architects and data analysts
remove the word data now
well the more I read the definition, the more I think they just define how data will be stored, consumed, integrated and managed by analysts. :)

yeah something like a data manager

GurfX said:
yeah something like a data manager

well that's a good sign. because I found a job posting by Popeye's for a Data Architect and the requirements/duties are just out of my league. lol

With these goals, I think a minor in computer programming/computer science would be very beneficial. It would complement the background in both physics and statistics very nicely. Finance and data analysis requires a great deal of...well...analysis of data. This is a type of task that is made much easier with a solid grounding in programming. A minor in computer science is basically a universally good thing regardless of major though.

QuantumCurt said:
With these goals, I think a minor in computer programming/computer science would be very beneficial. It would complement the background in both physics and statistics very nicely. Finance and data analysis requires a great deal of...well...analysis of data. This is a type of task that is made much easier with a solid grounding in programming. A minor in computer science is basically a universally good thing regardless of major though.

ugh. I hate programming and computer science.

An undergraduate majoring in a department other than Computer Science may earn a minor in Computer Science by completing the following computer science courses each with a grade of C or better: Computer Science 1581, 1583, 2120, 2121, 2125, 2450, 3301, and one three-credit 4000-level course selected from an approved list. (It should be noted that Mathematics 2721 is a prerequisite for Computer Science 2125.) A transfer student must complete a minimum of nine credit hours in required computer science courses at UNO, and these must include Computer Science 2125 and a three credit 4000-level course from the approved list.

grandpa2390 said:
ugh. I hate programming and computer science.

An undergraduate majoring in a department other than Computer Science may earn a minor in Computer Science by completing the following computer science courses each with a grade of C or better: Computer Science 1581, 1583, 2120, 2121, 2125, 2450, 3301, and one three-credit 4000-level course selected from an approved list. (It should be noted that Mathematics 2721 is a prerequisite for Computer Science 2125.) A transfer student must complete a minimum of nine credit hours in required computer science courses at UNO, and these must include Computer Science 2125 and a three credit 4000-level course from the approved list.

1581 Software Design and Development I Laboratory
1583 Software Design and Development I

2120 Software Design and Development II
2121 Software Design and Development II Laboratory
2125 Data Structures (requires: MATH 3721 Introduction to Discrete Structures)
2450 Machine Structure and Assembly Langauge Programming
3301 Computer Organizationof the 4000 level classes offered, these seem most applicable
Data Models and Database Systems
Introduction to Artificial Intelligence

I only have the first two. I am not sure I could finish all of these before I graduate. It could take another 1 or 2 to get these.

I'm going to build a flow chart of these courses and figure out what the minimum time it would take to to complete this minor along side my major. : )
Charts and graphs make me feel good. lol. They give me a sense of security to have the information organized.

Last edited:
OK. so I have made a map of the courses left for me to take in order to finish with a minor in computer science and statistics. I have 54 hours to go.
if I went full-time that would be 4.5 semesters. so 2 years and a semester at half-time.

It sounds like that could be doable, but it's not necessarily worth it to pick up a minor if it means sticking around longer. It may be better to simply take a few selected courses. If you really don't enjoy programming though, there are certainly other options.

QuantumCurt said:
It sounds like that could be doable, but it's not necessarily worth it to pick up a minor if it means sticking around longer. It may be better to simply take a few selected courses. If you really don't enjoy programming though, there are certainly other options.

well it might not be so bad to stick around longer. taking 2 physics classes a semester might be better for me than taking 3. I was thinking I would rather take the biology courses necessary to apply to Physician Assistant school rather than a minor in computer science if I was going to take that much. but at the same time, while I would love to be a Physician Assistant (all the fun of working with patients without the burden of being an M.D.), if I don't get accepted into PA school (or D.O. school if I choose to apply there as well), all of those Bio classes aren't going to do me any good in my employability with the physics degree. of course I could just apply to my school's graduate program and get a Master's in Applied Physics...

Related to Best Minor for a Physics Major with these goals

1. What is the best minor for a physics major with the goal of pursuing a career in research?

The best minor for a physics major with the goal of pursuing a career in research would depend on the specific area of physics that you are interested in. For example, if you are interested in astrophysics, a minor in astronomy or astrophysics would be beneficial. If you are interested in particle physics, a minor in mathematics or computer science would be useful.

2. Is it necessary to have a minor as a physics major?

No, it is not necessary to have a minor as a physics major. However, a minor can provide additional knowledge and skills that may be useful in your career or graduate studies. It can also demonstrate your diverse interests and show your ability to excel in multiple subject areas.

3. Can a minor in a different field complement a physics major?

Yes, a minor in a different field can complement a physics major. For example, a minor in computer science can provide valuable programming skills that are applicable to many areas of physics, such as computational physics or data analysis. A minor in economics can also be useful for those interested in pursuing a career in industry or finance.

4. Are there any minors that are particularly beneficial for a physics major with the goal of teaching?

A minor in education or pedagogy would be beneficial for a physics major with the goal of teaching. These minors can provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively teach physics at various levels, from high school to college.

5. Can a minor in a different field help with job opportunities for a physics major?

Yes, a minor in a different field can help with job opportunities for a physics major. Many industries and companies value individuals with diverse skill sets and knowledge in multiple subject areas. A minor in a related field, such as engineering or computer science, can make you a strong candidate for positions that require a combination of technical and analytical skills.