Bisectors of Triangle ABC Concurrent at Incentre I

• Thread starter PiRsq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the proof for the concurrency of bisectors of the angles of any triangle ABC and the existence of the incentre point I is based on the fact that angle A and B are bisected and their bisectors meet at point I. By assuming a line segment bisects angle C and meets the bisector of angle A at point O, it is proved that O is the same point as I. However, the assumption that a line from O to B bisects angle B is false since I has already been defined to be on the bisection of angle B. Therefore, the proof stands and the proposition is true.
PiRsq
Prove that the bisectors of the angles of any triangle ABC are concurrent. The point of intersection is called the incentre, I.

Proof:

-Angle A and B are bisected and their bisectors meet at a point I
-Assume a line segment bisects angle C and meets the bisector of angle A at point O
-Assume a line from O to B that will bisect angle B
-But angle B is already bisected by segment BI
-So line segment OB must be BI
-Thus point O is I
-Therefore the incentre is at I

Does this proof workout?

Attachments

• proof.gif
    proof.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it does not work.
Look:

-Angle A and B are bisected and their bisectors meet at a point I
-Assume a line segment bisects angle C and meets the bisector of angle A at point O
OK, so far.
-Assume a line from O to B that will bisect angle B

This is a false assumption:
You have already defined I to be on the bisection of angle B.
So you may not assume that O, which has already been defined otherwise, is also on the bisection of angle B.

Since the assumption is false on the basis of your proposition, it does not lead to the conclusion that the proposition is false.

1. What is the definition of the Incentre of a triangle?

The Incentre of a triangle ABC is the point where the three angle bisectors of the triangle intersect. It is equidistant from all three sides of the triangle.

2. How is the Incentre of a triangle found?

The Incentre can be found by constructing the angle bisectors of the triangle and finding their point of intersection. This can be done using a compass and straightedge or by using geometric constructions in software such as GeoGebra.

3. What is the significance of the Incentre in a triangle?

The Incentre has several important properties in a triangle. It is the center of the incircle, which is the largest possible circle that can be inscribed in the triangle. The Incentre is also the center of mass for the triangle and is equidistant from all three sides, making it an important point in triangle geometry.

4. How does the Incentre relate to the angle bisectors of a triangle?

The Incentre is the point of concurrency for the angle bisectors of a triangle. This means that the Incentre is the only point where all three angle bisectors intersect. The angle bisectors divide the angles of the triangle into two equal parts, and the Incentre is equidistant from all three sides of the triangle.

5. Can the Incentre ever lie outside of the triangle?

No, the Incentre will always lie within the triangle. This is because the angle bisectors will always intersect inside the triangle, and the Incentre is the point of concurrency for these bisectors. Therefore, the Incentre cannot be located outside of the triangle.