Best laser pointer for optics lab?

In summary, the individual is searching for a safe laser pointer suitable for educational purposes, specifically for experiments involving lenses. They prefer a well-known brand and are wary of Chinese products. They seek further information on the required wavelength and power, as well as proper safety precautions when using lasers. They also mention that most lasers used in physics experiments are not laser pointers.
Dorea
I'm serching around the web to find the best laser poiter (with real safety class). the below one is the only thing that I could find:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQCF35G/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Do you know any other brands suitable for educational goals? we need to use laser pointer for some experiments such as lenses experiment. Lasers should have on-off button, safe ray and magnet.

(There's many chinese products that I can't trust them!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I'm searching for a well-known brand for safe laser pointer. Internet is full of chinese products! I thought maybe someone knows a good brand in his/her country.

Well, this is kind of a big question. Maybe you'll get some more help if you be more specific. What kind wavelength do you require? What kind of power?

"Safe" in terms of lasers is an interesting term. You'll probably want something in the visible wavelengths, with power low enough that the blink reflex will save you - so class 1 or 2. However, nothing can make up for proper safe behaviour around lasers.

If you buy a green laser, make sure it has the appropriate filter on it - green lasers are made by frequency doubling an IR laser, and really cheap laser pointers will tend to leave out the filter to remove the IR part.

Most lasers used in physics experiments aren't laser pointers.

I would recommend doing thorough research on the specifications and safety features of any laser pointer before purchasing it for use in an optics lab. It is important to ensure that the laser pointer is classified as safe for educational purposes and meets all necessary safety regulations. Some reputable brands that offer laser pointers suitable for educational goals include Thorlabs, Edmund Optics, and Newport. It is also important to make sure that the laser pointer has an on-off button and emits a safe ray, as well as checking for any additional features such as a magnet. It is understandable to be cautious about purchasing products from unknown or unreliable sources, so it is always best to stick with reputable and trusted brands.

Related to Best laser pointer for optics lab?

1. What is the best type of laser for an optics lab?

The best type of laser for an optics lab is a green laser with a wavelength of 532nm. This type of laser provides the most precise and accurate beam, making it ideal for experiments and measurements in an optics lab.

2. How much power is needed for a laser pointer in an optics lab?

The power needed for a laser pointer in an optics lab depends on the specific experiment or application. Generally, a laser with a power output of 5mW or less is suitable for most optics lab experiments. However, if working with more complex experiments or materials, higher power lasers may be needed.

3. Are there any safety considerations when using a laser pointer in an optics lab?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when using lasers in an optics lab. It is important to wear appropriate protective eyewear and follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. Additionally, it is crucial to never point the laser at anyone's eyes and to use caution when handling the laser.

4. What is the ideal beam quality for a laser pointer in an optics lab?

The ideal beam quality for a laser pointer in an optics lab is a TEM00 mode beam. This means that the laser produces a single, stable beam with a uniform intensity profile. This type of beam is essential for precise measurements and experiments in an optics lab.

5. Can I use a laser pointer for both visible and non-visible light experiments in an optics lab?

Yes, there are laser pointers available that emit both visible and non-visible light. These lasers are ideal for experiments that require different wavelengths of light, such as infrared or ultraviolet. However, it is important to make sure that the laser is suitable for the specific experiment and to follow all safety precautions.