Best Free Android Matlab/Octave Code Editor for Quick Calculations and Plots

In summary, The conversation is about finding a text editor for Android that can highlight MATLAB/Octave code syntax. The person asking the question recently got a tablet and wants to be able to use it for calculations and plots during discussions. They have searched the play store but have not found any suitable editors. They mention that neither the mobile versions of MATLAB nor Octave include an editor. Another person suggests an app that does math graphing, but it is not capable of handling MATLAB. The first person also mentions that it is not possible to use MATLAB on the device unless it connects to the internet.
Zarqon
I'm wondering if anyone has found a (preferably free/open source) text editor for Android that highlights matlab/octave code syntax? I recently got a tablet and thought it would be pretty nice to be able to use it to quickly put together some calculations/plots during discussions and so. I've tried to look through the play store already but didn't find any such editor, and as far as I can tell the mobile versions or neither MATLAB nor octave includes an editor.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Best Free Android Matlab/Octave Code Editor for Quick Calculations and Plots

1. What is the best free Android Matlab/Octave code editor for quick calculations and plots?

The best free Android Matlab/Octave code editor for quick calculations and plots is called "Octave for Android". It is a free and open-source app that allows you to write, run, and debug Matlab/Octave code directly on your Android device.

2. Can I use the app for both Matlab and Octave?

Yes, the "Octave for Android" app supports both Matlab and Octave. You can switch between the two languages within the app, or even use a mix of both in your code.

3. Does the app have all the features of a traditional Matlab/Octave code editor?

No, the "Octave for Android" app is not as fully-featured as a traditional desktop code editor. However, it does have many essential features such as syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and debugging tools to make your coding experience more efficient.

4. Can I save and access my code from different devices?

Yes, the app allows you to save your code locally on your device or on a cloud storage service such as Google Drive. This way, you can access your code from any device with the app installed.

5. Is the app suitable for complex calculations and plots?

While the app is primarily designed for quick calculations and plots, it can handle more complex tasks. However, due to the limitations of a mobile device, it may not be as efficient as a desktop code editor for heavy-duty calculations and plots.