Best Chemical Engineering Undergraduate Schools

In summary: I would say that RPI has a bit better ChemE program, but there arent many jobs that require a degree in ChemE. Both schools are definitely worth checking out.
Wellesley
I'm curious about what people consider is the best ChemE school. What schools do employers like to see applicants come from? This list excludes MIT, Cal Tech and other premier schools that are already rather obvious.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try doing a search at US News and World Report

Try http://www.cems.umn.edu/academics/chen/index.php"

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyclovenom said:
Try http://www.cems.umn.edu/academics/chen/index.php"

Why did you pick this school? Was it from personal experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I did my undergrad in Civil Engineering at another university. Currently, I am doing my grad studies there at the Civil Eng Department. The university so far is great. Lots of smart people and well prepared faculty. They are nice and willing to help you learn.

The Chemical Engineering department at UMN is well known. You should definitely check it out.

Cyclovenom said:
The Chemical Engineering department at UMN is well known. You should definitely check it out.

Thanks! I'll take a look at their website.

The University of Akron.
It's a small school, it's worth checking out.
It's currently the school I'm attending for Chem.E. and they're proficient and are ranked as high as well as higher than some schools such as MIT, polymers being one of such the cases of where they are ranked either 1st or 2nd.

withthemotive said:
The University of Akron.
It's a small school, it's worth checking out.
It's currently the school I'm attending for Chem.E. and they're proficient and are ranked as high as well as higher than some schools such as MIT, polymers being one of such the cases of where they are ranked either 1st or 2nd.

Yup, UA is pretty strong in research. I think it's polymer eng. is 2nd in the nation. Definitely worth a look!

Michigan Tech has a good Chem Eng program. It works very closely with a lot of chemical companies so you get real world experience too.

When my sister was looking at schools for ChemE, one of the better was the University of Virginia.

Has anyone ever heard of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute? Or California Polytechnic, Pomona? Do they have good ChemE programs?

Cyclovenom said:
Well, I did my undergrad in Civil Engineering at another university. Currently, I am doing my grad studies there at the Civil Eng Department. The university so far is great. Lots of smart people and well prepared faculty. They are nice and willing to help you learn.

Most "rankings" put UMNs Chem Eng program in the top 5 (I've seen it listed as high as 1 in some rankings). Thus, I would classify UMN as more of a premier school rather than a "good, but not top 10 school".

My brother, who got his Masters in Chemical Engineering from Purdue (and is now working towards his PhD), claims that UMN is definitely top 3.

Wellesley said:
Has anyone ever heard of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute? Or California Polytechnic, Pomona? Do they have good ChemE programs?

Yeah, I know of RPI. In fact, I applied to RPI for my grad studies. I got accepted, but I decided to go UMN.

Both UMN and RPI are good schools.

Related to Best Chemical Engineering Undergraduate Schools

1. What are the top chemical engineering undergraduate schools?

The top chemical engineering undergraduate schools are typically determined by rankings from reputable sources such as U.S. News & World Report, Forbes, and the QS World University Rankings. Some of the top schools include the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of California-Berkeley, and the University of Texas at Austin.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a chemical engineering undergraduate school?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a chemical engineering undergraduate school include the program's curriculum, faculty expertise, research opportunities, location, internship and co-op options, and job placement rates. It's also important to consider the cost and financial aid options available.

3. Are there any specialized areas of chemical engineering offered at undergraduate schools?

Yes, many chemical engineering undergraduate programs offer specialized areas of study such as biochemical engineering, materials science and engineering, environmental engineering, and process systems engineering. It's important to research the specific programs offered by each school to find one that aligns with your interests and career goals.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in science and math to succeed in a chemical engineering undergraduate program?

Yes, a strong foundation in science and math is essential for success in a chemical engineering undergraduate program. Courses in chemistry, physics, biology, and calculus are typically required for admission, and strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are necessary for coursework and research in the field.

5. Can I transfer from a different major to a chemical engineering undergraduate program?

It is possible to transfer from a different major to a chemical engineering undergraduate program, but it may depend on the specific requirements and availability of courses at the school you are transferring to. It's important to speak with an academic advisor at the school to determine the feasibility of transferring and to plan your coursework accordingly.