Calculating Mutual Inductance with Neumann Integral Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a two conductor system and using the concept of Neumann integral to determine mutual inductance between the conductors. The diagram attached shows two separate conductors with currents flowing in opposite directions. The formula for mutual inductance is M = I^{-1} \int_A \vec{B} \cdot \vec{n} \cdot da, where the surface A is the rectangle of width c and height L. The current I can be chosen to be either I1 or I2. The magnetic field B caused by I1 can be expressed as B(y) = \frac{DI_1}{y}, where y is the vertical distance from the lower wire. However, there are some discrepancies in
ollitsacj
I'm having problems trying solve this problem.
Consider the two conductor system given below

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| <------a-----> |
| I2-> ______________ |
| | | |
| | | | | |<-c->| L |
| | | |
| I1->__________|_____| |
| <-------b-------> |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|

There are 2 segments of 2 separate conductors. The direction of the currents(obviously) are along the conductors. Using the concept of Neumann integral formulate the mutual inductance between these conductors.

If anybody can help me with this problem I'll appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I can't make heads or tails of that diagram. Can you attach a scanned copy or something?

here is an attach figure done in MS WORD

Attachments

• mutual inductance.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 251
Well you probably got to use
[tex]
M = I^{-1} \int_A \vec{B} \cdot \vec{n} \cdot da
[/tex]
where the surface A is probably the rectangle of width c and height L, what else can it be.
We could choose I = I1 or I = I2, it must not make a difference since the inductance is mutual. So, let's choose I = I2.
Next, B (as caused by I1) can be expressed as
[tex]B(y) = \frac{DI_1}{y}[/tex]
where y is the vertical distance from the lower wire. I wrote D because I'm really too lazy to type electromagnetic constants.
There's no problem with the scalar product since B is always normal to the surface.
We get
[tex]
M = c\frac{I_1}{I_2} \int_0^L \frac{D}{y} dy
[/tex]
I admit it can't be right since it's not symmetrical in the currents. Also, the integral is not finite. Does this help anyway?

Last edited:

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance refers to the measure of the ability of two electric circuits to induce a voltage in each other due to changes in current. It is a property that exists between two electric circuits close to each other, and it is a crucial factor in the design and operation of many electronic devices.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance can be calculated using the Neumann integral problem, which involves solving a set of equations that relate the currents and magnetic fields of the two circuits. This method uses mathematical concepts such as vector calculus and Green's theorem to determine the mutual inductance value.

3. What are the factors that affect mutual inductance?

The factors that affect mutual inductance include the distance between the two circuits, the number of turns in the coils, the shape and orientation of the coils, and the permeability of the materials used in the circuits. The presence of any nearby magnetic materials can also affect mutual inductance.

4. Why is mutual inductance important in electronics?

Mutual inductance is important in electronics because it allows for the transfer of energy between two circuits without the need for physical contact. This is crucial in the design of transformers, motors, generators, and other electronic devices that use electromagnetic induction to function efficiently.

5. How can mutual inductance be used in real-world applications?

Mutual inductance has many real-world applications, including in power transmission, wireless charging, and communication systems. It is also used in sensors and detectors, where changes in mutual inductance can indicate the presence or movement of objects. Additionally, mutual inductance is utilized in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).