Best Book for Self-Teaching Classical Physics

• Thread starter MrApex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resource
In summary, there are multiple books available for self-teaching classical physics, such as Halliday and Resnick's "Fundamentals of Physics" and Young, Freedman, and Ford's "University Physics." These books are commonly used and cover similar material, so it is not necessary to use them in conjunction. However, the Feynman Lectures on Physics are highly recommended as a supplement, as they offer a different perspective and are valuable for developing problem-solving skills. It is not necessary to purchase another textbook if one is already using Serway's "Physics for Scientists and Engineers," unless they are unsatisfied with its style and find another book more suitable. The Feynman Lectures may be challenging at first, but they are a
MrApex
What would you guys say is the best book to self-teach oneself classical physics .. or a few books in conjuction? I am currently using Physics for scientists and engineers by Serway and I am not sure if this is good enough? THanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say there are better books out there.

Halliday and Resnick - Fundamentals of Physics

and if you have the big bucks

Young, Freedman, Ford - University Physics

SolsticeFire

SolsticeFire said:
I'd say there are better books out there.

Halliday and Resnick - Fundamentals of Physics

and if you have the big bucks

Young, Freedman, Ford - University Physics

SolsticeFire
Do you think I should use these books in conjuction? or use one of the two ( and if so, which one ?) thanks

My suggestion would be to use Halliday and Resnick in conjunction with Feynman Lectures on Physics. Halliday and Resnick will develop your problem solving skills while Feynman makes you fall in love with physics :)

SolsticeFire

All the commonly-used calculus-based "freshman physics" textbooks cover pretty much the same territory: Halliday/Resnick, Serway, Young/Freedman, Tipler/Mosca, etc. The differences are mainly in writing style, minor variations in sequence of topics, etc. If you already have Serway, I wouldn't plunk down money for another one unless you become unhappy with its style and you inspect another book and decide it suits you better.

The three-volume Feynman Lectures are different enough that they're well worth having as a supplement. Just remember, they were originally for a class of freshman at Caltech, and even they found it somewhat rough going! But grad students and professors kept slipping into the back of the room. :-p So don't expect to catch on to everything the first time through. But if you stick with physics, you'll keep coming back to them.

Related to Best Book for Self-Teaching Classical Physics

What is the best book for self-teaching classical physics?

The best book for self-teaching classical physics will depend on your individual learning style and goals. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor. It is important to choose a book that is comprehensive, well-written, and includes plenty of practice problems.

Do I need to have a background in math to understand classical physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for understanding classical physics. You should have a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus to fully grasp the concepts and equations involved in classical physics.

How much time should I dedicate to self-teaching classical physics?

This will vary depending on your prior knowledge and the complexity of the material. It is recommended to set aside at least 2-3 hours per day for studying and practicing problems. Consistency is key to effectively self-teaching any subject.

What are some useful resources to supplement a self-taught classical physics book?

There are many online resources available to supplement your self-teaching, such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and online communities for discussion and support. You can also seek out additional textbooks or reference books for further explanation or practice problems.

How can I ensure I am understanding the material correctly while self-teaching classical physics?

One way to ensure understanding is to regularly test yourself by solving practice problems and checking your answers. You can also seek out a study partner or join a study group to discuss and compare your understanding of the material. It is also important to regularly review and revisit previous concepts to solidify your understanding.