Best angle to shoot a projectile

In summary, the artillery officer should shoot the projectile over the hill at an angle of 2H/R above the horizontal.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired with speed v_0 (velocity subscript zero) at an angle θ from the horizontal as shown in the figure
5184_a_v2.jpg

Consider your advice to an artillery officer who has the following problem. From his current position, he must shoot over a hill of height H at a target on the other side, which has the same elevation as his gun. He knows from his accurate map both the bearing and the distance R to the target and also that the hill is halfway to the target. To shoot as accurately as possible, he wants the projectile to just barely pass above the hill.

Find the angle θ above the horizontal at which the projectile should be fired.
Express your answer in terms of H and R.

Homework Equations

v_0x = v_0 * cosθ
v_0y = v_0 * sinθ
tanθ = (sinθ)/(cosθ)

3. My attempt at a solution
According to the description, the hill is "halfway to the target". Thus, the highest point is at R/2.
I can then make a triangle with H as the opposite side and (R/2) as the adjacent side. Using trig, I get tanθ = opp/adj = H/(R/2) = 2H/R.

My final answer is thus θ = arctan(2H/R).

The answer above is incorrect and I already know what the correct answer is. What I don't understand is what's wrong with the above method? Solving it is much simpler and makes perfect sense to me. Thank you all very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the projectile going to travel in a straight line up to the top of the hill and then instantly turn and do the same down to the target?

How about running an example problem using given values for H,R and g (local gravitational acceleration)
H = 10 meters
R = 100 meters
g = 9.81 (m/s)/s

Find launch angle A

Ive attached a personal crib sheet that may help, note that the horizontal velocity vector (vh) is constant (key fact)

Attachments

• p008.jpg
    p008.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,108
@Orodruin I understand now. The projectile does not move in a straight line, so trigonometry can't be used. Thanks everyone for helping.

what's the real answer and how do you find it?

Related to Best angle to shoot a projectile

1. What is the best angle to shoot a projectile for maximum distance?

The best angle to shoot a projectile for maximum distance is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the greatest horizontal distance to be covered while minimizing the effects of air resistance.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of launch directly affects the trajectory of a projectile. A lower angle will result in a shorter, more curved trajectory, while a higher angle will result in a longer, flatter trajectory.

3. Is there an optimal angle for shooting a projectile for accuracy?

Yes, there is an optimal angle for shooting a projectile for accuracy. This angle varies depending on the speed and size of the projectile, as well as environmental factors such as wind and air resistance. Generally, a lower angle will result in greater accuracy for smaller and slower projectiles, while a higher angle may be more accurate for larger and faster projectiles.

4. How does gravity affect the best angle to shoot a projectile?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the best angle to shoot a projectile. The force of gravity pulls the projectile downwards, causing it to follow a curved path. This means that the best angle for maximum distance will also have to account for the downward pull of gravity.

5. Can the best angle to shoot a projectile be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the best angle to shoot a projectile can be calculated mathematically using the principles of projectile motion. This involves considering factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity and air resistance. Various mathematical equations and formulas can be used to determine the optimal angle for a specific projectile.