Bessel function, what does the notation in this function mean?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the notation and meaning of an equation involving ber and bei, which are related to Bessel functions. The person wants to know what each part of the notation means and how to calculate the formula in Matlab. They also mention finding a resource that explains the notation and thank the other person for their help.
crobar
Hello,

I have come across the following equation and want to know what the notation means exactly:

[tex]\frac{-2 \pi \gamma}{\sigma} \frac{[ber_2(\gamma)ber'(\gamma) + bei_2(\gamma)bei'(\gamma)]}{[ber^2(\gamma) + bei_2(\gamma)]}[/tex]

Now, I know ber is related to bessel functions. For example, I think ber is the real part of the Bessel function of first kind, and bei might be the imaginary part? I assume ber' is the derivative

Could someone possibly explain what each of the bei ber parts are?

I ultimately will want to calculate this formula in Matlab. Matlab's bessel function can apparently return different orders of the bessel function, should I be using anything other than order 1? does the subscripted 2 in the formula indicate order 2 should be used for instance? Alternatively, should I be using multiple orders and summing the results or something like this to improve accuracy?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ok, I was about to say that I'd already seen this and it didn't answer my questions, but on closer reading, I suppose it does actually.

thanks

Related to Bessel function, what does the notation in this function mean?

1. What is the Bessel function and what does it represent?

The Bessel function is a mathematical function that was discovered by the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel in the 19th century. It is a special type of function that is used to solve differential equations in physics, engineering, and other fields. The notation in this function represents the values of the function at different points.

2. What is the significance of the notation "Jn" in the Bessel function?

The notation "Jn" in the Bessel function refers to the n-th order Bessel function. This represents the order or degree of the function, which determines the shape and behavior of the function. Higher order Bessel functions have more oscillations and can be used to describe more complex physical phenomena.

3. How is the Bessel function related to trigonometric functions?

The Bessel function is related to trigonometric functions through the use of complex numbers. It can be expressed in terms of sine and cosine functions, and its solutions often involve trigonometric functions. The Bessel function can also be used to find solutions to differential equations that involve trigonometric functions.

4. What is the difference between the Bessel function of the first kind and the Bessel function of the second kind?

The Bessel function of the first kind is denoted by "Jn" and is defined for all real and complex numbers. It is the most commonly used type of Bessel function and has many practical applications. The Bessel function of the second kind is denoted by "Yn" and is defined only for positive integer values of n. It is typically used to find solutions to problems involving cylindrical or spherical geometry.

5. How is the Bessel function used in real-world applications?

The Bessel function has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it is used in acoustics to describe the behavior of sound waves, in heat transfer to model the temperature distribution in cylindrical objects, and in electromagnetics to describe the electric and magnetic fields around cylindrical or spherical objects. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and other areas of mathematics and science.