Bessel Approximations in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation is about using the Bessel Function at different orders to approximate the sine function. The speaker is having trouble with plotting the function correctly and is seeking advice on how to do so. They also mention a formula involving positive zeroes and an integral for calculating the coefficients of the Bessel function.
Dustinsfl
How do I use the Bessel Function at different orders to approximate the sine function?

I am plotting $\sin\pi x$ against the BesselJ function. However, from the example I saw in class, as I increase the number of terms, the $(0,1)$ coordinate is pulled down to (0,0). This isn't happening for me so I am not entering in my BesselJ correct plotted. How would I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
How do I use the Bessel Function at different orders to approximate the sine function?

I am plotting $\sin\pi x$ against the BesselJ function. However, from the example I saw in class, as I increase the number of terms, the $(0,1)$ coordinate is pulled down to (0,0). This isn't happening for me so I am not entering in my BesselJ correct plotted. How would I do that?

Let be $\lambda_{1},\ \lambda_{2},\ ... ,\ \lambda_{k}$ the positive zeroes of $J_{n}(x)$, being n a non negative integer. In that case, given an f(x), is...

$\displaystyle f(x) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_{k}\ J_{n} (\lambda_{k}\ x)$ (1)

... where...

$\displaystyle a_{k}= \frac{2}{J^{2}_{n+1} (\lambda_{k})} \ \int_{0}^{1} x\ f(x)\ J_{n} (\lambda_{k}\ x)\ dx$ (2)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Bessel Approximations in Mathematica

1. What are Bessel approximations in Mathematica?

Bessel approximations in Mathematica are a set of functions that allow for the accurate representation of Bessel functions, which are special functions that arise in many areas of mathematics and physics. These approximations can be used to calculate Bessel functions of any degree and order, and are especially useful for large values of the arguments.

2. How do I use Bessel approximations in Mathematica?

To use Bessel approximations in Mathematica, you can simply call the built-in function FunctionExpand on any Bessel function. This will automatically convert the function to its Bessel approximation form. You can also specify the degree and order of the Bessel function by using the function BesselJ and providing the desired values as arguments.

3. Can Bessel approximations be used for complex arguments?

Yes, Bessel approximations can be used for complex arguments. Mathematica has built-in functions for calculating Bessel functions with complex arguments, such as BesselJ and BesselY. These functions will automatically use Bessel approximations when necessary to ensure accurate results.

4. Are Bessel approximations accurate for all values of the arguments?

While Bessel approximations are generally accurate for large arguments, they may not be as accurate for small or negative arguments. In these cases, it is recommended to use the exact Bessel functions or to use higher order approximations to improve the accuracy. Additionally, the accuracy of Bessel approximations may depend on the particular implementation in Mathematica.

5. Are Bessel approximations faster than exact Bessel functions?

In general, Bessel approximations are faster than exact Bessel functions for large arguments. This is because the approximations involve simpler calculations and do not require the evaluation of special functions. However, for small or negative arguments, the exact Bessel functions may be faster due to the potential loss of accuracy in using approximations. It is recommended to test both methods for a specific problem to determine which is faster in that particular case.