Bernoulli's Principle Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations involved in determining the difference in pressures inside a pipe carrying a fluid when the pipe goes from a ¼” diameter to 1/8” diameter with a constant flow rate of 9 Liters per minute. The original calculation results in a pressure difference that seems too large to be reasonable, but after realizing a mistake in unit conversion, a more reasonable pressure difference of 163.8 Pa is obtained. The conversation then delves into further calculations involving the pressure difference and the pressure inside a larger pipe.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
This isn’t really homework, but it might as well be with all the calculations involved.
I am trying to figure out the difference in pressures inside a pipe carrying a fluid when the pipe goes from a ¼” diameter to 1/8” diameter when the constant flow rate is 9 Liter per minute. I got an answer, but it seems way to large to be reasonable.

I am using these two equations,
A_1 * V_2 = A_2 * V_2
P_1 + ½ (V_1)^2 = P_2 + ½ (V_2)^2

If I have some fluid flowing through a system of pipes at a constant rate of 9 Liters per minute, this would be equal to 1.5 E-4 m^3 / s.
The starting diameter of the pipe is ¼ inches (radius of 3.2 E-4 m^2) and the smallest diameter is 1/8 inches (radius of 1.6 E-4 m^3).

I know that A_1 * V_1 = 1.5 E-4 m^2/s and that A_1 = 3.17 E-7 m^2,
So that means that V_1 must equal 473.2 m/s. This seems very fast, but OK, I will accept it. When the pipe diameter is halved, the velocity of the fluid is quadrupled. So V_2 must equal 1894 m/s. This seems extremely high (over 5 times the speed of sound), but I keep going.

Now that I know the two velocities of the fluid in both parts of the pipe, I want to find the pressure difference.

I know,
P_1 + ½ (V_1)^2 = P_2 + ½ (V_2)^2, plugging in gives me,
P_1 + ½ (473.2)^2 + P_2 + ½ (1894)^2, solving for the difference in pressure,
P_1 – P_2 = ½ (473.2)^2 - ½ (1894)^2 = 1.69 E6 N/m^2

A pressure difference of 1.69 E6 N/m^2 = 1690 kPa = 16.7 atmospheres, this has got to be wrong, right? Where did I screw up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, wait, I figured out the problem, I missplaced the decimal on the conversions between inches and meters on the pipe diameter, causing them to be a factor of 10 too small.

When I rework everything, I get a pressure difference of 163.8 Pa which seems much more reasonable.

mrjeffy321 said:
This isn’t really homework, but it might as well be with all the calculations involved.
I am trying to figure out the difference in pressures inside a pipe carrying a fluid when the pipe goes from a ¼” diameter to 1/8” diameter when the constant flow rate is 9 Liter per minute. I got an answer, but it seems way to large to be reasonable.

I am using these two equations,
A_1 * V_2 = A_2 * V_2
P_1 + ½ (V_1)^2 = P_2 + ½ (V_2)^2

If I have some fluid flowing through a system of pipes at a constant rate of 9 Liters per minute, this would be equal to 1.5 E-4 m^3 / s.
The starting diameter of the pipe is ¼ inches (radius of 3.2 E-4 m^2) and the smallest diameter is 1/8 inches (radius of 1.6 E-4 m^3).

I know that A_1 * V_1 = 1.5 E-4 m^2/s and that A_1 = 3.17 E-7 m^2,
So that means that V_1 must equal 473.2 m/s. This seems very fast, but OK, I will accept it. When the pipe diameter is halved, the velocity of the fluid is quadrupled. So V_2 must equal 1894 m/s. This seems extremely high (over 5 times the speed of sound), but I keep going.

Now that I know the two velocities of the fluid in both parts of the pipe, I want to find the pressure difference.

I know,
P_1 + ½ (V_1)^2 = P_2 + ½ (V_2)^2, plugging in gives me,
P_1 + ½ (473.2)^2 + P_2 + ½ (1894)^2, solving for the difference in pressure,
P_1 – P_2 = ½ (473.2)^2 - ½ (1894)^2 = 1.69 E6 N/m^2

A pressure difference of 1.69 E6 N/m^2 = 1690 kPa = 16.7 atmospheres, this has got to be wrong, right? Where did I screw up?

Your work looks correct (I admit I didn't check the numbers.) Consider that your original flow rate of 9 L/min is pretty sizable given the diameter of your pipe, so I would imagine the numbers would be rather large. And consider, if you are pumping liquid at 9 L/min though a pipe 1/8 of an inch diameter at Mach 5, you're not exactly going to be merely blowing through a straw to do it! :smile:

-Dan

Assuming the 163.8 Pa pressure difference is correct, the I can take the calculations a bit further.

If the small pipe opens up into the atmosphere, then we know the pressure of the fluid in the small pipe (~1 atm). Since we know the pressure difference, then we also know the pressure in the large pipe (1 atm + 163.8 Pa). if the large pipe is being fed directly by some other very large pipe like in the figure below,

_________
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....---------
......|__________
......|-----------
.....----------
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....|
.....|
-----------
Then I could figure out the pressure inside the original, very large pipe.

But what if this very large pipe is actually a PVC pipe with a small hole cut in the side and the big pipe (from the orignal question) is fitted into the side, what would be the very large pipe's diameter? Would it be the height of the pipe or would it be the actual pipe diameter?

____
|...|
|...|----
|...=======
|...____
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
-----

Related to Bernoulli's Principle Question

What is Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure of the fluid decreases. This principle applies to both liquids and gases and is often used to explain the lift of an airplane wing or the flow of water through a pipe.

Who discovered Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle was discovered by Daniel Bernoulli, a Swiss mathematician and physicist, in the 18th century. He first published his findings in his book "Hydrodynamica" in 1738.

What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle is used in many real-world applications, including airplane design, carburetors, and even in the production of sound by musical instruments. It is also used in HVAC systems to regulate air flow and in medical devices such as nebulizers.

Is Bernoulli's Principle always applicable?

No, Bernoulli's Principle is not always applicable. It is based on certain assumptions, such as the fluid being incompressible and the flow being steady. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not hold, and the principle may not accurately predict the behavior of fluids.

How is Bernoulli's Principle related to the conservation of energy?

Bernoulli's Principle is a result of the law of conservation of energy. As the speed of a fluid increases, its kinetic energy increases and its internal energy decreases, leading to a decrease in pressure. This principle is a manifestation of the fact that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.