Bernoulli's Equation on water hose

In summary: PaYou can then use this convertion factor to find P1 in terms of Pa:P1 = 101325 Pa + 1/2 (1000 kg/m^3) * (2422.6084 m/s)^2 - 1/2 (1000 kg/m^3) * (.4489 m/s)^2Note that the units of Pa and kg/m^3 will cancel, leaving you with units of Pa. You can then convert to atm by dividing by the conversion factor:P1 = (101325 Pa + 1/2 (1000 kg/m^3) * (2422.6084 m/s)^2 - 1/2 (1000 kg
maniacp08
Water flows at 0.67 m/s through a 3.0 cm diameter hose that terminates in a 0.35 cm diameter nozzle. Assume laminar non-viscous steady-state flow.
(a) At what speed does the water pass through the nozzle?
49.22 m/s

(b) If the pump at one end of the hose and the nozzle at the other end are at the same height, and if the pressure at the nozzle is 1 atm, what is the pressure at the pump?
atm

I have found the answer for part A.
I have set up an equation for part B:
I have to find P1
P2 = 1 atm
v1 = .67 m/s
v2 = 49.22 m/s
let D = density of water = 1000kg/m^3

P1 + 1/2 D * V1^2 = P2 + 1/2 D * V2^2
P1 = P2 + 1/2 D * V2^2 - 1/2 D * V1^2
P1 = 1atm + 1/2(1000kg/m^3) * (2422.6084 m/s) - 1/2(1000kg/m^3) * (.4489m/s)

How do I convert this or get answer for P1 in terms of atm?

Physics news on Phys.org
maniacp08 said:
How do I convert this or get answer for P1 in terms of atm?

Most of your figures are in SI units. So I'd recommend working in SI, then converting at the end if you need the answer in terms of atm.

Your table of information / equation table should give you 1 atm in SI units. (If you don't have one, find the table of information / equation table you'll have in your exam, print it out, and refer to it constantly, so that you get used to where everything is!)

1 atm = 101.325 kPa

Related to Bernoulli's Equation on water hose

What is Bernoulli's Equation on water hose?

Bernoulli's Equation on water hose is a scientific principle that explains the relationship between the velocity of a fluid (such as water) and its pressure, as it flows through a narrow hose. It states that as the velocity of the fluid increases, the pressure decreases.

How is Bernoulli's Equation applied to a water hose?

Bernoulli's Equation can be applied to a water hose by considering the fluid as it moves through different parts of the hose. As the fluid moves through a narrower section of the hose, its velocity increases and its pressure decreases. This can be seen in action when a water hose is partially squeezed or when sprayed at different angles.

What are the assumptions of Bernoulli's Equation on water hose?

The assumptions of Bernoulli's Equation on water hose include: 1) the fluid is incompressible, 2) the fluid is non-viscous (no internal friction), and 3) the flow is steady (no changes in velocity or pressure over time). These assumptions allow for a simplified calculation of the relationship between velocity and pressure in a fluid.

How is Bernoulli's Equation related to the conservation of energy?

Bernoulli's Equation is related to the conservation of energy because it states that the total energy of a fluid (the sum of its kinetic and potential energies) remains constant as it flows through a hose. This means that if the velocity increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa, to maintain the total energy of the fluid.

Can Bernoulli's Equation on water hose be applied to other fluids besides water?

Yes, Bernoulli's Equation can be applied to any fluid, including liquids and gases, as long as the assumptions are met. However, the equation may need to be modified for different types of fluids, such as incorporating factors like density or viscosity.