Bernoulli's equation misunderstanding

In summary, the pump creates a force that decreases the cross-sectional area of the pipe. This results in a decrease in pressure at the exit.
hongiddong

Homework Statement

A pump forces water at a constant flow rate through a pipe whose cross-sectional area, A, gradually decreases. At the exit point, A has decreased to 1/3 its value at the beginning of the pipe. If y= 60 cm(the distance from point 1 to the exit, where point 1 is where y=0) and the flow speed of the water just after it leaves the pump, which is point 1, is 1m/s what is the gauge pressure at point 1?

I have the solution, but I don't know why a certain part of the solution is the way it is. More specifically, why is P at point 1 - Patm = to the gauge pressure. I know that the gauge pressure= pressure total - pressure at surface.

Homework Equations

Here is the solution.

P1 + 1/2density*v1^2 = Patm + 1/2density*v2^2+density*gravity*y2(60cm)

Then for some reason, which I do not know why P1 is the total pressure and we subtract
P1-Patm = density*gravity*y2+1/2density*(3v1)^2-1/2density*v1^2

The answer for the gauge pressure is 10^4 Pascals.

Thanks Physics Forums!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the gauge pressure= pressure total - pressure at surface.
A pressure gauge compares the pressure on each side of a membrane.
So if one end is attached, say, to a tire, and the other is open to the air, then $$P_{gauge}=P_{tire}-P_{air}$$

why is P at point 1 - Patm = to the gauge pressure.
... I don't understand the question.
the distance from point 1 to the exit, where point 1 is where y=0
I don't understand this description ... where is point 1? At the exit or at y=0 at both?
Is the pipe horizontal or vertical?
Is the narrow end the exit?

Anyway - the key to understanding gauge pressure is to check where both ends of the gauge are connected.

Hi Simon, sorry for the confusion. Here's an attempt to clarify my question, the pipe starts off horizontal, and the p1 is the horizontal reference where it is equal to 0. The pipe exit is the narrow end, and it 60m from the horizontal.

I'm still having some trouble seeing the gauge pressure, but I think the total pressure is due to the pump. Thank you Simon for all your help!

hongiddong said:
Hi Simon, sorry for the confusion. Here's an attempt to clarify my question, the pipe starts off horizontal, and the p1 is the horizontal reference where it is equal to 0.
Where what is equal to 0?
The height? The horizontal distances measurement (distances to the left are negative)? The pressure? The diameter?

The pipe exit is the narrow end, and it 60m from the horizontal.
Anything that is "from the horizontal" would normally be measured starting perpendicularly to the horizontal ... so is this a height? Consider what an angle "from the horizontal" means.

If you cannot describe a situation clearly, then you will have trouble working out the physics.

The gauge pressure does not depend on what causes the pressure.
The "gauge pressure" is simply the pressure reading on the pressure gauge.
The pressure gauge simply shows you the difference in pressure between the two ends.
So if P1 is the pressure at p1, and Px is the pressure at position x, then the gauge will show you
Pg=Px-P1.

Likes 1 person
Ahh I understand now. Lastly, can you get a negative pressure gauge, or should I always make pressure gauge positive?

You can get a negative gauge pressure - if the probe pressure is lower than the reference pressure.
It is just like using a voltmeter - it's just that common gauges are built to have the reference end in the air (by your hand say) by default so you only see the end you poke into something, like a tire.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Simon! This helped a lot!

Related to Bernoulli's equation misunderstanding

1. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid flowing in a closed system. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation commonly misunderstood?

Bernoulli's equation is often misunderstood as stating that the pressure and velocity of a fluid are directly proportional. However, this is not always the case as other factors such as fluid density and elevation also play a role in the equation.

3. Is Bernoulli's equation applicable to all fluids?

No, Bernoulli's equation is only applicable to ideal fluids, which are considered to have no viscosity, or resistance to flow, and are incompressible.

4. Can Bernoulli's equation be used to predict the behavior of all fluids?

No, Bernoulli's equation is limited in its applicability and cannot accurately predict the behavior of real fluids, which have varying levels of viscosity and compressibility. It is best used for idealized scenarios and as a starting point for further analysis.

5. What are some common applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has a wide range of applications in fields such as aviation, hydraulics, and weather forecasting. It is commonly used to explain the lift force on an airplane wing, the flow of water through pipes, and the behavior of air masses in weather systems.