Whatever happened to Occam's Razor?

• Thread starter mouseman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of Occam's razor in theoretical physics and how it applies to the various theories, such as M-theory and tachyons. It is mentioned that Occam's razor cannot be used when there is no solution to apply it to. The conversation also touches on the limitations of the standard model and the motivation for exploring physics beyond it.
mouseman
I'm just wondering, with all these theories out there (M-theory, tachyons, anti-particles, etc., etc.) aren't they ignoring the Laws of Economy?

Be advised my question is not trying to infer that I have any alternatives, I am just asking out of curiosity.

Thank you kindly for your most appreciated time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Occam's razor says that among various solutions we should choose the simplest.

The problem is that, in some domains, we're still at the zero solution stage! Can't apply Occam's razor when there's nothing to apply it to. :wink:

Hurkyl

Ahhh I see. Thanks I didnt think of that.

Plus, Occam says not to multiply entities without a reason. There are reasons to think physics exists beyond the standard model. For example the SM doesn't say why the particles have the masses they do. That the particles have mass at all is explained (sort of) by the Higgs mechanism, but why those particlular numbers come up is not explained.

So physicists are motivated to think of physics beyond the SM, and that's what all the strings theory and supersymmetry and so on is, just trying to see what consistent physics at those high energies can exist.

1. What is Occam's Razor?

Occam's Razor is a principle in philosophy and science that states that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. It suggests that when faced with multiple explanations for a phenomenon, the one with the fewest assumptions or components is most likely to be true.

2. Who came up with Occam's Razor?

The principle is named after William of Ockham, a 14th-century philosopher and theologian. However, the idea of preferring simpler explanations can be found in the works of earlier philosophers such as Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas.

3. How is Occam's Razor used in science?

In science, Occam's Razor is used as a guide for developing theories and explanations for observed phenomena. It encourages scientists to prioritize simplicity and elegance in their models and to avoid adding unnecessary complexity.

4. Is Occam's Razor always correct?

No, Occam's Razor is not a hard and fast rule, and it is not always correct. In some cases, a more complex explanation may be necessary to account for all the available evidence. It is also important to consider the quality and quantity of the evidence before applying Occam's Razor.

5. Has Occam's Razor been challenged or updated in any way?

Over the years, Occam's Razor has been challenged by various philosophers and scientists who argue that it is not a reliable tool for finding the truth. However, it remains a commonly used principle in scientific reasoning, with some modifications and variations, such as the principle of parsimony in statistics and the law of economy in biology.