How to Calculate Distance and Acceleration of a Rolling Sphere on a Ramp

In summary, the sphere rolls up a ramp without slipping and the center of mass speed is V=6.0 m/s. The sphere's center of mass acceleration is 2.56 m/s^2 up the ramp. Static friction acts at the point of contact between the sphere and the ramp and is 2.961 N.
mighty2000
Hey there.

My question is:

A solid sphere of mass 2.5 kg and radius R =0.20 m is initially rolling along the horizontal without slipping with a center of mass speed V=6.0 m/s

1) if the sphere then rolls without slipping up a fixed ramp(25 deg) and a coefficient of static friction of .35, how far X(in meters) up the ramp does it roll?

Anyway I think I figured this one out correctly, but I am not too certain what to do with the friction. Do I just add it into the final answer or what?

my work:

Ei=1/2 Mv^2 + 1/2 I(omega)^2
Ef=mgh
Ef=Ei

becomes 1/2 v^2 + 1/5 v^2 = gh (cancel all mass)

becomes h=(v^2/2g)+(v^2/5g)

end up with a height of 2.56 meters up the ramp

2)
Now I am to find the sphere's center of mass acceleration up the ramp

I used a(cm)=-a(t)=-r(alpha)
fs=(I*a(cm))/r^2
a(cm) = gsin(theta)-I*(a(cm)/mr^2)
a(cm) = gsin(theta)/(1+(I/mr^2))

a(cm)=2.961 m/s^2

3)
and finally I am to calculate the static friction acting on the sphere as it rolls up the ramp

I used the same formula as above and plugged in the number a(cm) and of course I got the same answer of 2.961 N

Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

M2k

Physics news on Phys.org
Static friction? AFAIK, you only need to calculate static friction when you want to know if an object starts to slip or not. Here, it says 'without slipping'. I think static friction plays no role here, so your 1)st answer is correct.

what about the rest bro?

I think you don't need the rest. The question is, how far does it roll, and you answered that.

No dude, the other two are also questions that I have to answer.
And from what you are saying, the answer to number 3 is zero, because it is not slipping. Right?

Thanks for the reply

Originally posted by arcnets
Static friction? AFAIK, you only need to calculate static friction when you want to know if an object starts to slip or not. Here, it says 'without slipping'. I think static friction plays no role here, so your 1)st answer is correct.

No, static friction is what moves a rolling object forwards. It plays the most important role of all!

M2k:

To answer the last two parts, draw a free body diagram of the ball on the ramp. Then write down Newton's second law, which is not 2 but 3 equations (you sum the forces and the torques). Don't forget that you have static friction acting in the direction of motion of the center of mass of the sphere.

Try to write down and solve the system of equations. You should be able to get 2 and 3 simultaneously.

so f(s) is actually moving with the sphere?

once again Tom, do I just add the coefficent of sf on to the answer or do I have to say:

a(y)=0 mu(s)N = mu(s)*mgsin(theta) and that is an additional force since it is moving with the sphere. I understand that the friction is what is required for the sphere to not slip.

Sorry bro, more help required, I drew out the free body diagram.

Thanks for the reply

M2k

Originally posted by mighty2000
so f(s) is actually moving with the sphere?

The frictional force always acts at the point of contact of the sphere with the plane.

once again Tom, do I just add the coefficent of sf on to the answer or do I have to say:

Not sure what you mean by this. You treat the frictional force exactly the same as always. It's magnitude is μ*N, where N is the magnitude of the normal force.

a(y)=0 mu(s)N = mu(s)*mgsin(theta) and that is an additional force since it is moving with the sphere. I understand that the friction is what is required for the sphere to not slip.

I'm not sure of what you mean by a(y), but here are some notes:

You solve it like any other inclined plane problem, but now you have rolling involved.

The static frictional force acts parallel to the incline, in the direction of motion. It's magnitude is μs times the normal force.

The normal force acts perpendcular to the incline, as usual.

The gravitational force acts straight down.

That's it--those are the only forces, so write down ΣF=ma, where a points down the incline (down, because the ball is decelerating.

Finally, you can sum the torques about the center of mass and set that equal to Iα.

That will give you the system of equations you need.

Last edited:
guess I am just a little rusty on incline plane problems. I don't have my book right here in front of me. But I am going to head out now. Any other tips that you can give me on how to solve all 3 of the questions?

if not, thanks for your help

M2k

Not just yet. Try to write out the following 3 equations from the free body diagram:

1. ΣFparallel=ma
2. ΣFperpendicular=0
3. Στ=Iα

and we'll go from there.

1. What is a rolling solid sphere?

A rolling solid sphere is a three-dimensional object that has a circular shape and is made of a solid material. It is able to roll on a flat surface due to its shape and the forces acting upon it.

2. What is the physics behind a rolling solid sphere?

The physics behind a rolling solid sphere involves rotational motion and the conservation of energy. When a sphere is rolling, it has both translational and rotational kinetic energy, which are constantly being converted between each other. This is known as rolling without slipping.

3. How is the motion of a rolling solid sphere affected by its mass and radius?

The motion of a rolling solid sphere is affected by its mass and radius in a few ways. The larger the mass or radius, the greater the inertia of the sphere, making it more difficult to change its motion. Additionally, the larger the mass or radius, the more potential energy the sphere has, which can affect its speed and acceleration.

4. What is the difference between a rolling solid sphere and a rolling hollow sphere?

A rolling solid sphere is a completely solid object, while a rolling hollow sphere has a hollow center. This difference affects the distribution of mass and the moment of inertia, which can impact the rolling motion and speed of the sphere.

5. How does friction play a role in the rolling motion of a solid sphere?

Friction plays a crucial role in the rolling motion of a solid sphere. Without friction, the sphere would slide instead of roll. The amount of friction present between the sphere and the surface it is rolling on can also affect the speed and acceleration of the sphere.