Bending of a varrying cross section

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of creating a stress strain graph due to difficulty in calculating the moment of inertia about the z-axis. The speaker has tried researching and reaching out for help, but has not been successful. They suggest using the height and width of the object to calculate the moment of inertia instead.
rayray0071
Recently, I had lab. In the lab we took different objects and measured their strain. One object had a varying cross section. The data for strain was recorded. Right now, I'm trying to make a stress strain graph, but the problem is my equation for stress. I don't know how i can take my moment of intertia about the z-axis. I looked all over the web. In addition, I tried contacting my TA but no success for the pass 3 days. If you can help, I would appretiate it.

Edit: I have the equations for the slopes. The problem lies with my moment of inertia.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 430
Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem as shown leaves one asking a few questions. I don't know which is the z-axis.

According to the problem statement, the depth of the beam is constant; apparently only the width varies. Why don't you calculate the moment of inertia at several different locations and draw a curve of inertia versus distance from the fixed end?

rayray0071:

Are you certain that you need to solve for more than two dimensions?

According to your problem statement, your height (i.e., your x-axis) is of constant dimensions.

As your diagram is, according to your problem statement, viewed from above, it's your x-axis that's sticking out from the paper. The only varying dimension is the z-axis (which is the up-and-down axis on your diagram). The y-axis is, as usual, the left-right axis on your diagram.

I hope this helps.

Related to Bending of a varrying cross section

1. What is bending of a varying cross section?

Bending of a varying cross section is a phenomenon that occurs when a beam or structure is subjected to a load, causing it to bend or deform. This can happen when the cross section of the beam changes along its length.

2. What factors affect the bending of a varying cross section?

The factors that affect the bending of a varying cross section include the material properties of the beam, the magnitude and distribution of the load, and the geometry of the cross section.

3. How is bending of a varying cross section calculated?

The bending of a varying cross section can be calculated using various methods, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the Timoshenko beam theory. These methods take into account the material properties, load, and geometry of the beam to determine the bending behavior.

4. What are the applications of studying bending of a varying cross section?

Studying bending of a varying cross section is important in various fields, such as structural engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering. It is used to design and analyze beams and structures that are subjected to different types of loads.

5. How can the bending of a varying cross section be controlled?

The bending of a varying cross section can be controlled by adjusting the material properties, load distribution, and cross section geometry of the beam. This can be achieved through proper design and use of support structures.