Bending Moment Diagram for Trapezoidal Distributed Load: Homework Help

In summary, the student is struggling to link the bending moment diagrams for a trapezoidal and triangular distribution. He is looking for help from the community to connect the two diagrams.
TheCamBee

Homework Statement

I have a problem which involves me drawing the bending moment diagram for a trapezoidal distributed load. I understand the bending moment diagrams for a uniform distribution, and partially for a triangular distribution, however i am struggling to link the two for a trapezoid shape distribution. How would i go about knowing what sort of shape will be required and how to draw this?

Homework Equations

The beam is 2.35m in total length, with a 0.1 segment at each end, and the distribution in the centre at a length of 2.15m. The 'small' side of the trapezoid is 20N/m and the longer side is 40N/m. This distribution is seen to be 'hanging' downwards from the beam, and a reaction load from another beam is situated at the far right of the beam, in the upwards direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i have calculated the max moment to be 15.4084N. How would i draw this on my diagram.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, I'd like to welcome you to PF!

TheCamBee said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem which involves me drawing the bending moment diagram for a trapezoidal distributed load. I understand the bending moment diagrams for a uniform distribution, and partially for a triangular distribution, however i am struggling to link the two for a trapezoid shape distribution. How would i go about knowing what sort of shape will be required and how to draw this?

Homework Equations

The beam is 2.35m in total length, with a 0.1 segment at each end, and the distribution in the centre at a length of 2.15m. The 'small' side of the trapezoid is 20N/m and the longer side is 40N/m. This distribution is seen to be 'hanging' downwards from the beam, and a reaction load from another beam is situated at the far right of the beam, in the upwards direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i have calculated the max moment to be 15.4084N. How would i draw this on my diagram.
Please show how you arrived at your number, which should have the units of N-m, if that's a moment you are trying to calculate. This problem looks very similar to this one:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=385188

Is it? If not, what are the end support conditions...is this a cantilever with a fixed support at one end? Remember, the slope of the shear diagram curve at a given point is equal to the value of the load intensity at that point; and the slope of the moment diagram curve at a given point is equal to the value of the shear at that point. Is this a homework problem, or a take-home exam?

Indeed this is the same question as the problem in 'mikex24' post. Turns out to be a bit of a challenge!
Anyway after abit more work i managed to complete my horizontal beam calculations, however thankyou for getting back to me!
The angled beam seemed quite simple compared to the horizontal beam, most likely because of the lack of distributed loads. Just to clarify, it is possible to rotate the angled beam so it is horizontal, providing the geometry is the same to draw the bending moment and shear force diagrams?
Once again thanks for getting back to me so quick, i will go and have a quick look at the induced stresses!

TheCamBee said:
Indeed this is the same question as the problem in 'mikex24' post. Turns out to be a bit of a challenge!
Anyway after abit more work i managed to complete my horizontal beam calculations, however thankyou for getting back to me!
The angled beam seemed quite simple compared to the horizontal beam, most likely because of the lack of distributed loads. Just to clarify, it is possible to rotate the angled beam so it is horizontal, providing the geometry is the same to draw the bending moment and shear force diagrams?
Once again thanks for getting back to me so quick, i will go and have a quick look at the induced stresses!
Yes, you are quite correct that the shear and moment diagrams for the angled member is a lot easier to develop than the horizontal member, primarily because there is no distributed load on the angled member. And yes, once you determine the forces and moments acting on the angled member at its ends, rotate the member (and the forces and moments with it) so it's horizontal, and draw the shear and moment diagrams. It's easier than tilting your head :wink:

hi to all, i jst want to share my problem. it is a simple beam with trapezoidal loading on it. i resolve the trapezoid by making it into a uniformly distributed load and a triangular loading.. but still i can't determing how to solve or to draw the share and moment diagram.. using both the Equation Method and the Area Method.. can anybody share your genius idea? thanks here's the image of the problem

Attachments

• Problem.JPG
    Problem.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 2,825
Let x be the distance from the left hand end.
Then Vx = ... and Mx=...? That is, what are the values of shear force and bending moment at section X, as functions of x. That is how to start.

Related to Bending Moment Diagram for Trapezoidal Distributed Load: Homework Help

1. What is a Bending Moment Diagram?

A Bending Moment Diagram is a graphical representation of the variation of bending moment along the length of a structural element, typically a beam. It helps engineers and designers to understand the distribution of forces and moments acting on the beam, and determine the maximum bending moment at any point.

2. How is a Bending Moment Diagram calculated?

A Bending Moment Diagram is calculated using the principles of statics, which involves analyzing the forces and moments acting on a beam. The calculation involves determining the reactions at the supports, finding the internal forces and moments at different points along the beam, and plotting them on a graph to create the Bending Moment Diagram.

3. What is the significance of a Bending Moment Diagram?

A Bending Moment Diagram is an important tool in structural analysis and design. It helps engineers to determine the maximum bending moment and shear force at any point along the beam, which is crucial in selecting appropriate materials and dimensions for the beam. It also helps in identifying critical locations where the beam may fail or experience excessive deflection.

4. How do changes in loading affect a Bending Moment Diagram?

Changes in the type and magnitude of loading can significantly affect a Bending Moment Diagram. For example, a uniformly distributed load will result in a linearly varying bending moment, while a point load will result in a spike in the Bending Moment Diagram. Similarly, increasing the magnitude of the load will increase the bending moment at any given point along the beam.

5. How is a Bending Moment Diagram used in structural design?

A Bending Moment Diagram is an essential tool in structural design as it helps engineers to determine the maximum bending moment and shear force at any point along the beam. These values are then used to select appropriate materials and dimensions for the beam, ensuring that it can safely withstand the expected loads and maintain structural integrity.