Bell's inequality experimental data

In summary, the conversation discusses Bell's inequality and how it proves that the basic hidden variable theory cannot be true. The measurement of entangled particles is always reported as a 0.5 correlation, with 50% of the time the particles being in the opposite state and 50% of the time they are not. However, this does not necessarily prove that the particles are truly entangled. The conversation then goes on to question if experiments keep track of individual results at different measurement settings and if the data can show a 100% entanglement when the measurement axes are the same. The conversation ends with the summary that figure 3 in a specific article answers the question and provides the data.
Nivloc
Everything I've seen about Bell's inequality has had the setup of 120 degree angles between the axis of measurements. The experiment then proves that the basic hidden variable theory can't be true. But the actual measurement has always been told to me as a 0.5 correlation. 50% of the time the two particles are reported in the opposite state, 50% of the time they are not. Which is exactly what entanglement predicts.

But it's also what you'd expect to see if the particles were not entangled.

First question, and the easiest way around this: Do the experiments keep track of individual results at individual measurement settings? Collectively, it's 50%. But can we look at the data and see that anytime the measurement axis line up the entanglement is 100%? If the particles are entangled, and the axis of measurement is the same, then the measurements will give the opposite value. Do we have that data? Do you know where I can see it for myself?

If we don't have that data, then I'm quickly going to despair of ever understanding why we're so convinced that the particles are still entangled at the time of measurement. I do not have a doctorate in theoretical physics, and I'm not about to get one. I don't even understand how we write entangled states or how to do math with them. The other option is if we know exactly what it takes to break an entangled state, such that we could be certain that the particles were entangled at the time of measurement.

So, essentially: If the only way to know whether or not two particles are entangled is to measure them both, then a 50-50 split in a two-state system doesn't prove that they are entangled.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nivloc said:
Everything I've seen about Bell's inequality has had the setup of 120 degree angles between the axis of measurements. The experiment then proves that the basic hidden variable theory can't be true. But the actual measurement has always been told to me as a 0.5 correlation. 50% of the time the two particles are reported in the opposite state, 50% of the time they are not. Which is exactly what entanglement predicts.

But it's also what you'd expect to see if the particles were not entangled.
That's not correct. With entangled particles in a Bell state and 120° between the detectors, the quantum probability that the particles are measured with opposite spins is 1/4. Edit: to clarify, I am talking about measurement pairs along different angles.

Nivloc said:
Do the experiments keep track of individual results at individual measurement settings? Collectively, it's 50%. But can we look at the data and see that anytime the measurement axis line up the entanglement is 100%? If the particles are entangled, and the axis of measurement is the same, then the measurements will give the opposite value. Do we have that data? Do you know where I can see it for myself?
Have a look at figure 3 in https://arxiv.org/pdf/1508.05949.pdf

Last edited:
Likes Nivloc
Yup, that answers my question. Fig 3 (C) is what I was looking for. Thanks!

Related to Bell's inequality experimental data

1. What is Bell's inequality and why is it important in scientific research?

Bell's inequality is a mathematical theory proposed by physicist John Bell in 1964. It is used to test the validity of quantum mechanics and determine if it is a complete theory for describing the behavior of subatomic particles. The experimental data from Bell's inequality tests can provide insights into the nature of reality and the fundamental laws of physics.

2. How is Bell's inequality tested experimentally?

Bell's inequality is typically tested using a setup called a Bell test experiment, which involves entangling two particles and measuring their properties in different orientations. The results of these measurements can then be compared to the predictions of Bell's inequality to determine if quantum mechanics is a complete theory.

3. What is the significance of violating Bell's inequality in experimental data?

If the experimental data violates Bell's inequality, it means that the predictions of quantum mechanics are correct and that there are no hidden variables determining the behavior of subatomic particles. This supports the idea that quantum mechanics is a complete theory and can help us better understand the fundamental nature of reality.

4. How reliable is the experimental data for Bell's inequality?

The experimental data for Bell's inequality has been replicated and verified by numerous experiments, making it a highly reliable indicator of the validity of quantum mechanics. However, like all scientific experiments, there is always a possibility of error or unknown factors affecting the results.

5. What are the potential implications of Bell's inequality experimental data on future scientific research?

The experimental data from Bell's inequality has already had significant impacts on the field of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. It has also opened up new areas of research and potential applications, such as quantum computing and communication. Further studies and developments in this area may lead to even more groundbreaking discoveries and technologies in the future.