Bekenstein bound on cosmological scales

In summary, the conversation touches on the Bekenstein bound and its applicability to the expanding universe. While it is difficult to define the bound in such a case, it may still hold true if energy and radius are properly accounted for. The question of whether the Bekenstein bound is fundamental in theories of everything is also discussed, with the conclusion that it may arise from the ultimate quantum theory of gravity but will still be an emergent property. The conversation also brings up confusion about the nature of spacetime and its content, as well as the role of entanglement entropy in representing a classical thermodynamic ensemble.
tzimie
Except the extreme case of Black Holes, all other objects in the Universe (say, Galaxies) are very far from the Bekenstein bound (BB). Any object saturating the BB tends to be BH. But we can try to saturate the BB increasing the radius of a sphere. In flat static Universe, sooner or later we saturate the BB and we get a BH. This is one of the reasons why such Universe is not possible in GR.

As we know, big volumes in our Universe don't become BHs because of the expansion. My questions is, what's about the BB on the cosmological scales? If we take a sphere bigger than Cosmological Horizon, then BB is probably not applicable to it (because oppisite regions are not causally connected)? What's about the simpler case of the Universe without Dark Energy - Universe without Cosmological Horizons, where sooner or later all regions mutually cross their 'future' light cones?

Likes marcus
Physics news on Phys.org
I like your questions even though I cannot answer and am not the right person to try to answer. I hope someone else here will respond. I do not see a natural way to define the Bekenstein Bound in the case of expanding geometry. You must specify a radius R. Is this in terms of comoving distance or proper distance?
Comoving distance is convenient but seems unphysical because it does not experience expansion. Proper distance is defined only for the specific moment of Universe time (Friedmann time) and you must imagine somehow pausing the expansion process long enough to make enough time to measure it.
Operationally speaking what could be the meaning of the Bek. Bound on such a large scale? Everything in physics presumably comes down to measurements, whatever meaning it has boils down to relations between measurements---operations that in principle could be done. I am having difficulty making sense of the question in operational terms.
But the Bek. Bound is extremely interesting! I will quote, for people unfamiliar with it:
==Wikipedia on Bek. Bound==
The universal form of the bound was originally found by Jacob Bekenstein as the inequality[1][2][3]

c0d3dfb3d94c83daef65698a8ebc8c2f.png

where S is the entropy, k is Boltzmann's constant, R is the radius of a sphere that can enclose the given system, E is the total mass–energy including any rest masses, ħ is the reduced Planck constant, and c is the speed of light. Note that while gravity plays a significant role in its enforcement, the expression for the bound does not contain Newton's Constant G.

In informational terms, the bound is given by

50aba7b68aa344780fa4506a1d4a702b.png

where I is the information expressed in number of bits contained in the quantum states in the sphere. The ln 2 factor comes from defining the information as the logarithm to the base 2 of the number of quantum states.[4] Using mass energy equivalence, the informational limit may be reformulated as

5c4192a804628afac1c90cb151e86592.png

where
6f8f57715090da2632453988d9a1501b.png
is the mass of the system in kilograms, and the radius
e1e1d3d40573127e9ee0480caf1283d6.png
is expressed in meters.
==endquote==
You know in GR there is no energy conservation law and one might not be sure how to define R when it is very large.
But suppose the "E" is all radiation and the "R" is proper distance. Then RE could be constant because as R increases the energy inside the volume declines just enough to compensate. the wavelength of each photon, so to speak, grows proportional to R and so the expansion effect cancels.
(this is just a crude oversimplification but it suggests that the bound might extend in some fashion to this more general case)

Maybe this has already been realized and done long ago.

Likes tzimie
It seems to me this paper may help.

Last edited:
Likes tzimie
Thank you for the article! Interesting.
But I have one another question.
Is BB fundamental in TOE (Loop gravity or superstrings) or is it merely an emergent property on larger (non-Planks) scales?

tzimie said:
Thank you for the article! Interesting.
But I have one another question.
Is BB fundamental in TOE (Loop gravity or superstrings) or is it merely an emergent property on larger (non-Planks) scales?
This question seems strange. Thermodynamics is about the collective behaviour of a large number of degrees of freedom. How can you think of it as fundamental in anything, whether air conditioning or quantum gravity?!
And the BB is an inequality involving entropy which is, like other concepts in thermodynamics, about a large number of degrees of freedom.
So the answer to your question is, I think, the BB may arise from the ultimate quantum theory of gravity or may not. Its just more probable that it will. But even if it arises, it will be about an emergent property, because entropy itself is emergent.

Shyan said:
This question seems strange. Thermodynamics is about the collective behaviour of a large number of degrees of freedom.

Correct, you can look at thermodynamics this way, so it makes no sense to talk about thermodynamics of a single electron. However, some aspects of thermodynamics are more fundamental - for example, "no information loss" (quantum determinism)

tzimie said:
Correct, you can look at thermodynamics this way, so it makes no sense to talk about thermodynamics of a single electron. However, some aspects of thermodynamics are more fundamental - for example, "no information loss" (quantum determinism)
That's about the unitary evolution of the quantum state of a system. Its an aspect of quantum mechanics, not thermodynamics.

Very interesting thread and paper.

It connects to my persistent confusion (I am genuinely confused) w/respect to whether spacetime and its content is a closed Liouville space or not, whether expansion is an information adding process or not, and whether or not the current "leading edge" superposition of states "entanglement entropy"? represents a classical thermodynamic ensemble, or something else?

Related to Bekenstein bound on cosmological scales

What is the Bekenstein bound on cosmological scales?

The Bekenstein bound is a theoretical limit on the maximum amount of information that can be contained within a physical system. It is derived from the laws of thermodynamics and relates the information content of a system to its energy and surface area.

How does the Bekenstein bound apply to cosmological scales?

The Bekenstein bound is often used in the study of cosmology to place limits on the amount of information that can be contained within the observable universe. It allows us to calculate the maximum amount of information that can be contained within a given volume of space.

What is the significance of the Bekenstein bound in cosmology?

The Bekenstein bound has important implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that there is a finite limit to the amount of information that can be contained within the observable universe, which has implications for theories about the nature of the universe and the potential existence of multiple universes.

How is the Bekenstein bound calculated?

The Bekenstein bound is calculated using the entropy formula, which relates the amount of information in a system to its energy and temperature. It also takes into account the surface area of the system, as this is believed to be related to the maximum amount of information that can be contained within it.

Is the Bekenstein bound a proven concept?

While the Bekenstein bound is derived from well-established principles in physics, it has not yet been experimentally proven. However, it has been used in many theoretical studies and has been shown to be consistent with other theories and observations. Its validity is still an active area of research and debate in the scientific community.