Behaviour of electrons in a teltron tube

In summary, if the anode voltage in a teltron tube (used to determine the charge-to-mass-ratio of the electron) is turned off, the electron beam disappears.
DDesulgon
If I switch off the anode voltage in a teltron tube (used to determine the charge-to-mass-ratio of the electron), the visible electron beam disappears. Why is this so? The electrons, which were already shot out of the electron gun before, have a high velocity and should continue to move on a circular path with constant velocity? Or are they slowed down so much by collisions with the gas molecules?

Physics news on Phys.org
The tube has a diode electron gun. If the diode-anode is disconnected, no electron beam will emerge. This is because the diode-anode is used to attract and accelerate the electrons from the cathode. With no voltage applied, the electrons fall back to the cathode.
The beam is made visible by a tilted fluorescent screen, and the tube does not use gas to make the beam visible.
Have a look at the circuits in the following:-
https://www.philipharris.co.uk/prod...ructure/teltron-tube-deflection-e/m-/b8a49530

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, dlgoff and berkeman
DDesulgon said:
teltron tube
I remember experimenting with a teltron tube in an advanced lab course at my University.

Likes vanhees71
The electrons are not emitted "at high velocity". They reach their anode velocity by virtue of having been accelerated by the electric field set up by the anode voltage, which you have turned off.

Likes DaveE
rude man said:
The electrons are not emitted "at high velocity". They reach their anode velocity by virtue of having been accelerated by the electric field set up by the anode voltage, which you have turned off.
Of course, I understand that. My question is: Why do these electrons (which have already been accelerated) not keep circling, after the anode voltage was turned off? After they leave the electric field, they move at constant velocity, with the Lorentz force forcing them on a circular path. Why is this not some sort of perpetual motion?

DDesulgon said:
Why do these electrons (which have already been accelerated) not keep circling
The electrons are actually going pretty fast. See the graph on this link to find the sort of speed for a range of eV. The transit time is not many microseconds so you would never spot the effect you are looking for. The fall time of the EHT volts would be at least a few milliseconds after switch off.

Likes vanhees71
DDesulgon said:
Of course, I understand that. My question is: Why do these electrons (which have already been accelerated) not keep circling, after the anode voltage was turned off? After they leave the electric field, they move at constant velocity, with the Lorentz force forcing them on a circular path. Why is this not some sort of perpetual motion?
Looks like I'm not sufficiently familiar with a Teltron tube to answer that.

If the E field is gone but the B field persists then you'd get circular motion & no change in speed. If the B field also disappears then you get rectilinear motion from that moment on, also no change in speed. But I'm just telling you what you seemingly already know.

Is it possible the electrons assume a circular path with radius large enough to bang against the side of the tube? That would make them disapoear at a side. At what point does the beam disappear in the tube relative to its sides?

How low is the vacuum? What mean free path? Even 100 loops would be over before you’d know it.

Likes vanhees71
We have hydrogen gas with a pressure of about 1 Pa in the tube. Do you think that the electrons then collide very quickly with the gas molecules and are thus slowed down when the anode voltage was switched off?

DDesulgon said:
Do you think that the electrons then collide very quickly with the gas molecules
What makes the electron beam visible?

Likes sophiecentaur and vanhees71
Well, the very same thing of course. I just thought that this only happens to very few electrons (because of the low pressure of the hydrogen gas). But perhaps I was wrong there?
This would also explain the observation that the electron beam becomes weaker "at the end" of its circular path, while it is most clearly visible directly after exiting the anode, wouldn't it?

Likes vanhees71
jtbell said:
What makes the electron beam visible?
I now seem to remember the electron beam is fan shaped. The electrons are only seen when they hit a screen-is that right?
EDIT:
I now realize there is yet another form of Textron tube - gas and no screen. So, to see the electron beam you would need a reasonable number of collisions - i.e. taking energy from the beam and reducing its current. In fact, the wiki image shows the circle getting fainter and fainter along its length.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
I now realize there is yet another form of Textron tube - gas and no screen.

Right, the Teltron tubes that I used for a long time in our e/m experiment, made the beam visible with a phosphorescent screen.

Based on the picture that the OP posted up-thread, his tube is more like one that I used earlier, in which the beam excited the gas along its path. Our tube used mercury vapor which made the beam "glow" light blue. The OP's tube uses hydrogen which produces a purplish glow that reminds me of our hydrogen discharge tubes for spectroscopy experiments.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is a teltron tube?

A teltron tube is a type of vacuum tube that is used to study the behavior of electrons. It consists of a glass tube with a cathode and anode at opposite ends, and is filled with a low-pressure gas.

2. How do electrons behave in a teltron tube?

When a voltage is applied between the cathode and anode, the electrons are accelerated towards the anode. They then collide with gas molecules, causing them to ionize and release more electrons. These electrons are then accelerated towards the anode, creating a chain reaction known as a gas discharge.

3. What is the purpose of studying the behavior of electrons in a teltron tube?

By studying the behavior of electrons in a teltron tube, scientists can gain a better understanding of how electricity and electric currents work. This knowledge is crucial in the development of electronic devices and technologies.

4. How does the pressure of the gas in a teltron tube affect electron behavior?

The pressure of the gas in a teltron tube can greatly impact the behavior of electrons. At lower pressures, the electrons have a longer mean free path and can travel further before colliding with gas molecules. This can result in a more uniform and predictable gas discharge.

5. What are some practical applications of the study of electron behavior in teltron tubes?

The study of electron behavior in teltron tubes has many practical applications, including the development of cathode ray tubes for televisions and computer monitors, as well as the development of X-ray tubes for medical imaging. It is also used in the study of atomic and molecular structures, and in the production of fluorescent lights and neon signs.