Behavioral neuroscience, neural connections, synapses

In summary, the film showed a connection between neurons forming and you could see an axon and dendrite moving closer and closer together. Then when they got close enough they started doing this handshake-like pumping motion. It was fascinating to watch.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was watching a film in my behavioral neuroscience class yesterday and it showed a connection between neurons forming. (not an animation, this was filmed using a microscope) You could actually see an axon and dendrite moving closer and closer together. Then when they got close enough they started doing this handshake-like pumping motion. It was fascinating to watch.

Anyway, my question is: what draws an axon and dendrite toward each other? Is it charge?

Biology news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I was watching a film in my behavioral neuroscience class yesterday and it showed a connection between neurons forming. (not an animation, this was filmed using a microscope) You could actually see an axon and dendrite moving closer and closer together. Then when they got close enough they started doing this handshake-like pumping motion. It was fascinating to watch.

Anyway, my question is: what draws an axon and dendrite toward each other? Is it charge?

The only force playing a significant role in that context is the electric force, yes. It all boils down to opposite charges attracting and like charges repelling.

Thanks. :smile:
Another question: when this attraction occurs, is the pre-sypnaptic neuron typically more positive than the post-synaptic one, or vice versa? Or does it vary? (I'm thinking it's the first condition I mentioned, but not 100% sure).

Perhaps a forcible interchange, perhaps not. A molecular conspiracy? There is so much crap going on down there, the possibilities are endless.

Chronos said:
Perhaps a forcible interchange, perhaps not. A molecular conspiracy? There is so much crap going on down there, the possibilities are endless.

Maybe. You'll have to explain this to me in terms of Tinkertoy connections.

That reminds me, I owe you a story of how my neural nets failed me in a court of law, but perhaps shortened my jury duty imprisonment.:smile:

Remember, we're not even considering behaviour at the atomic level here, so understanding the transmission and impulse of neural information and the interaction between transmitters and axon terminals and dendrites and axons is already a lot easier and more convenient, given the nanotechnology and brain research technology we're aided with. So it's a bit dismissive to say that the "possibilities are endless."

The attraction between dendrites and other structures in a neural pathway is of course an electrostatic attraction. Just out of curiosity, what were you watching?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Behavioral neuroscience, neural connections, synapses

What is behavioral neuroscience?

Behavioral neuroscience is a field of study that focuses on the relationship between the brain and behavior. It combines principles from neuroscience, psychology, and biology to understand how the brain influences behavior and vice versa.

How do neural connections work?

Neural connections, also known as synapses, are the communication links between neurons in the brain. When a neuron receives an electrical signal from another neuron, it releases chemical messengers called neurotransmitters that bind to receptors on the receiving neuron and trigger a new electrical signal. This process allows information to be transmitted throughout the brain and is essential for all brain functions.

What is the role of synapses in learning and memory?

Synapses play a crucial role in learning and memory. When we learn something new, new connections are formed between neurons, and existing connections are strengthened. This process, known as synaptic plasticity, allows us to retain new information and recall it later. Additionally, changes in the strength of synapses can also lead to changes in behavior and the formation of new habits.

How does aging affect neural connections?

Aging can lead to changes in neural connections, including a decrease in the number of synapses and a decline in their function. This can result in cognitive decline and an increased risk of neurological disorders such as Alzheimer's disease. However, research has shown that engaging in mentally stimulating activities and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help preserve and even strengthen neural connections as we age.

What are some techniques used to study neural connections?

There are various techniques used in behavioral neuroscience to study neural connections, including brain imaging (such as fMRI or PET scans), electrophysiology (measuring electrical activity in the brain), and optogenetics (using light to control neurons). Additionally, researchers also use behavioral experiments and computer simulations to understand how neural connections influence behavior.