If Bush knowingly lied about WMDs, should he go to jail?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers various opinions on whether or not former President Bush should face legal consequences for potential lies and fraud committed during his time in office. Some participants argue that he should face imprisonment, while others believe he has already been politically ruined and disgraced. The conversation also touches on former President Clinton's actions and whether or not he should have faced punishment for his lies, as well as bringing up the topic of potential lies and deceit in relation to the Iraq War. Some participants also discuss the importance of character in a president and the potential complicity of Congress in these actions.

If he lied, should Bush do time?

• Go directly to jail.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Only ruined and disgraced

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Other. Please explain

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by russ_watters
One would be fine. Can you provide one example of a politician being jailed for something he claimed in a political speach?

The issue is: False information presented to congress.
Most of the people that went to jail over watergate were prosecuted on similar charges. Nixon resigned because if he hadn't, he stood to bare the full brunt of the law.

Physics news on Phys.org
I say we put Bush under oath, and see what he has to say. There are too many questions with poor answers to allow the administration to whitewash it.

Russ, I believe Ivan Seeking is trying to get across to you that Nobody is above the Law.

Anyways, I think Mr. Bush and the Intelligence were planning the Iraq Invasion to be more easier then they thought. In fact we even gave the Iraq Soldiers the choice to surrender so we could easily take Saddam out. Lots surrendered and lots didn't. Bush made his motive for taking out Saddam by using the "WMD reason" more then the "Saddam Kills and tortures the Iraq people reason".

I really think we went in there to take Saddam out of the position of Ruling Iraq. Saddam is no different from a Mob Leader. He's no different from a criminal. Who would want a Criminal to have power over a country? I know I wouldn't. Bush talked and talked on the WMD that way he could get Saddam out of power of Iraq. It was the only better reason to use so he could do it.

Bush's true motives were to remove Saddam so the Iraq people would no longer have to suffer. Not because of WMD. Thats only my opinion. I don't know about you, but when I saw all those Iraq people shouting USA and blowing kisses to the American Soldiers on the News, my eyes got a little watery and it takes a lot to make my eyes watery, because I am a rather cold person.

Last edited:
Originally posted by zeronem
Russ, I believe Ivan Seeking is trying to get across to you that Nobody is above the Law.
And I certainly agree.

G:
Nobody died because of Clinton's fillandering and subversion. Lots of guys died from Bush's lies. You think Bush is morally superior? I don't.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
G:
Nobody died because of Clinton's fillandering and subversion. Lots of guys died from Bush's lies. You think Bush is morally superior? I don't.

I'm not sure what the relevence of bringing up Clinton is in this, but do you know who said this:

"outlaw nations and an unholy axis of terrorists, drug traffickers and organized international criminals."

and this

"We have to defend our future from these predators of the 21st century they will be all the more lethal if we allow them to build arsenals of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them There is no more clear example of this threat than Saddam Hussein's Iraq." ?

Originally posted by kat
I'm not sure what the relevence of bringing up Clinton is in this, but do you know who said this:

"outlaw nations and an unholy axis of terrorists, drug traffickers and organized international criminals."

and this

"We have to defend our future from these predators of the 21st century they will be all the more lethal if we allow them to build arsenals of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them There is no more clear example of this threat than Saddam Hussein's Iraq." ?

Clinton?

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
G:
As someone pointed out in another thread, if you pick your spin carefully enough, you can get people to say that Hitler is morally superior to Churchill and Roosevelt. There is more to both of them than those two statements.

I've said on several occasions, that Clinton's fillandering was merely a symptom of a more systemic problem: Clinton was unfit as a leader.

G:

Well perhaps in this country no but outside this country? Yes. Schwartz or anyone else for that matter, have you thought of all the people that died at the hand of Saddam, Osama bin laden, and the various tyrants currently in power? Sure Clinton did nothing but perhaps if he DID do something, he could have saved many lives outside of the US. And, although it is sad to say this, I think it may have taken the war (on terror and saddam) to show people that we are paying attention and that we do care, despite what they think.

Clinton was unfit as a leader.

In spite of the fact that I did not support impeachment, you may be surprised to know that I agree. Too bad really. I think he had the potential to do great things.

I've said on several occasions, that Clinton's fillandering was merely a symptom of a more systemic problem: Clinton was unfit as a leader.
Would you care to explain how this relates to Bush on any level, even if it were true?

He was responding to Schwartz. Look back a few posts, schwartz said

So we've been responding. hope i helped.

Originally posted by Shadow
He was responding to Schwartz. Look back a few posts, schwartz said

So we've been responding. hope i helped.

Thanks alot...you just got this thread locked.

Have a nice day.