Behavior of Liquid Nitrogen at 3000psi & 6000psi

In summary, the question of how nitrogen would behave at 3000psi or 6000psi, assuming it starts at liquid form and at 1 atms pressure heated to 20 Celsius, is difficult to answer without further information. However, it is important to note that nitrogen can only be properly liquefied at specific critical conditions, and it is unlikely that it would turn into a solid at these high pressures. A phase diagram or vapor pressure rate can provide more specific information on the behavior of nitrogen at these pressures. Some companies use high pressure nitrogen for various purposes, but it is still in the gas phase and its properties may be affected by local molecular interactions.
SoloRider
hi all
How would nitrogen behave at 3000psi? or 6000psi?
assuming it starts at liquid form and at 1 atms pressure heated to 20 Celsius.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
SoloRider said:
hi all

thank you

Only an experimenter can answer your question.

However , critical pressure at which Nitrogen can be liquefied is 34 atms. Critical temperature to liquefy Nitrogen is 140 oC . Both these conditions must be simultaneously met to properly liquefy Nitrogen. So you cannot get liquid form of Nitrogen at 1 atm pressure heated to 20 Celsius.

3000 or 6000 psi is too big the pressure ! :eek:

I think definitely this pressure will convert Nitrogen to liquid or probably solid even.

SoloRider said:
hi all

thank you

Google for "phase diagram for nitrogen" or some such, and you'll find diagrams such asthe following: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=nitrogen+phase+diagram

You may have to do some conversion of units to get your answer.

sankalpmittal, i don't think it will turn to solid since i found a few companies using high nitrogen pressure for different uses such as this machine:
http://www.jereh-pe.com/english/products/nitrogen-pump-skid.shtm#

Nugatory, your link looks promising thank you. What is the difference between "phase diagram" and "vapor pressure rate"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nitrogen at 20 C and 3000 psi has a compressibility factor of 1.06, so it's still very close to being an ideal gas. At 6000 psi, the compressibility factor is 1.26 so it's still a gas but is much more affected by the local molecular interactions.
SoloRider said:
sankalpmittal, i don't think it will turn to solid since i found a few companies using high nitrogen pressure for different uses such as this machine:
http://www.jereh-pe.com/english/products/nitrogen-pump-skid.shtm#
The nitrogen pumper you reference is a cryogenic, reciprocating pump mounted on a trailer that pumps low pressure, cryogenic liquid nitrogen from roughly 100 psi to the higher pressure. Depending on the pump, I've seen them go up to 10,000 psi or so. Once through the discharge of the pump, the cryogenic fluid is heated to ambient temperature through a number of means, and thrust down inside a well to fracture the rock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Behavior of Liquid Nitrogen at 3000psi & 6000psi

1. How does the behavior of liquid nitrogen change at 3000 psi and 6000 psi?

At 3000 psi, liquid nitrogen will experience an increase in density and viscosity, making it more difficult to flow. At 6000 psi, the nitrogen will become even denser and have a higher boiling point, requiring more energy to change from liquid to gas.

2. What is the critical point of liquid nitrogen at 3000 psi and 6000 psi?

The critical point of liquid nitrogen at 3000 psi is 126.2 K (-147.0°C) and at 6000 psi is 141.6 K (-131.5°C). This is the temperature at which liquid and gas phases become indistinguishable and any increase in pressure will not cause the liquid to turn into a gas.

3. How does the solubility of other substances in liquid nitrogen change at high pressures?

At 3000 psi and 6000 psi, the solubility of other substances in liquid nitrogen will decrease. This is due to the increased density and decreased ability of the liquid to accommodate other molecules.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when working with liquid nitrogen at high pressures?

When handling liquid nitrogen at 3000 psi and 6000 psi, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, including gloves and a face shield, to avoid contact with the extremely cold liquid. It is also important to handle the container with care and never attempt to open or modify the container while under pressure.

5. What applications use liquid nitrogen at high pressures?

Liquid nitrogen at 3000 psi and 6000 psi is commonly used in industrial applications such as food freezing, cryogenic cooling, and pressure testing. It is also used in research and development for studying the properties of materials under extreme pressure and temperature conditions.