How will computers transform education?

In summary, I think forcing kids to rent out of date laptops is a bad idea, online college courses are terrible, and laptops are overkill in a classroom.
Two things.

I dislike and have heard bad things about schools forcing kids to rent out of date laptops even if they already have one.

Also from my experience online college courses are terrible. You feel so distant from the class and the teacher. Most online courses use portals like blackboard and webct which are hardly useful, accessible and usable. Alot of lectures are held with video cams and if you don't have a high speed connection your left in the dust.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think the biggest improvements in the classroom from technology are email and webpages.

Email is very important nowadays because I allows people to talk to the professor after hours. It also beats leaving your dorm to see the professor during office hours.

Wepages are equally important because professors can post homeworks assignments and practice exams for students to view anytime.

I have used the blackboard system in a few of my classes and its a good way to keep informed what's going on in class.

Other than that, i think laptops are overkill in a classroom. I still find that the old pen and paper work better then carrying around a box of electronics.

As a bit of a technology zealot, I feel it's absolutely crucial. I type about 150wpm at full speed, and I can't write anywhere near that rate. I am therefore more capable of taking lucid notes (my handwriting leaves much to be desired as well ;)).

When you consider all the professors, researchers, and institutions that publish their work on their respective websites you can really appreciate the pervasiveness of computers. I can get a free education without leaving my desk. Granted, it's not as immersive as some classrooms, but there's a great number of people who learn more easily on their own than via a teacher. I am a terrible audible learner, but I will advance very quickly if simply given the material to learn.

My tupence.

I am taking a high school course over the internet right now, and I prefer it over any of my regular classes. I get full solutions to every problem (I find it easy to learn from my mistakes), I can do my homework when I want to (can do it when my brain functions the best, this goes with tests too), the notes are given all i have to do is read them(gives me flexibility)... The only thing that I don't like is the fact that I don't get the exposure to technology in the labs as I would in a regular classroom.

1. How will computers enhance learning in the classroom?

Computers have the ability to provide interactive and engaging learning experiences for students. They can offer a variety of multimedia resources, such as videos, simulations, and games, to supplement traditional teaching methods. Additionally, computers can personalize instruction based on a student's individual needs and learning style.

2. Will computers replace teachers in the classroom?

No, computers will not replace teachers. While technology can assist in the learning process, teachers play a crucial role in guiding and facilitating student learning. Teachers also provide essential social and emotional support that cannot be replicated by computers.

3. How will computers make education more accessible?

Computers can make education more accessible by providing students with online resources and virtual learning environments. This allows students to access educational materials and participate in classes from anywhere with an internet connection. Additionally, computers can assist students with disabilities by offering adaptive technologies and tools.

4. What impact will computers have on traditional classroom settings?

Computers will have a significant impact on traditional classroom settings by making learning more interactive, personalized, and flexible. They can also streamline administrative tasks for teachers, allowing them to focus on teaching and interacting with students. However, it is essential to find a balance between technology and traditional teaching methods to ensure a well-rounded education.

5. How can computers help students develop necessary skills for the future?

Computers can help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and digital literacy skills, which are essential for success in the 21st-century workforce. They can also expose students to new technologies and tools that they may encounter in their future careers. Additionally, computers can facilitate collaboration and communication among students, preparing them for the teamwork required in many professions.