Beginner question about voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of voltage and its relation to two plates, the magnetic fields and electric fields of electrons, and the production of current in a wire. The speaker also mentions the term EMF and suggests further research in a physics book or on Google.
jaydnul
I've always understood voltage as the difference between two plates. The more i think about it, the more i disagree with it. Wouldn't the voltage induced by a magnet in a generator be, well, voltage? There isn't a difference between two plates, its just the magnetic field interacting with the electric fields of the electrons which moves them, which causes a chain reaction right? So if this is correct, could you get an instance of current through a wire if you just touched it to the negative (most electrons) terminal of a battery because the electrons are trying to push away from each other so they would spread out across the newly attached wire to equalize the distance between each other?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your musings are not far off.

Break down the term EMF
Electro = ?
Motive = ?
Force = ?

then back to your physics book... or google.

http://amasci.com/ele-edu.html

old jim

lundyjb,

I've always understood voltage as the difference between two plates.

Difference? What kind of difference?

Wouldn't the voltage induced by a magnet in a generator be, well, voltage

And what is that?

There isn't a difference between two plates, its just the magnetic field interacting with the electric fields of the electrons which moves them, ...

There are no magnetic fields when you run a comb through your hair, yet voltage is produced.

...which causes a chain reaction, right?

Wrong, there is nothing nuclear about this.

So if this is correct, could you get an instance of current through a wire if you just touched it to the negative (most electrons) terminal of a battery because the electrons are trying to push away from each other so they would spread out across the newly attached wire to equalize the distance between each other?

The metal wire contains as many charge carriers (electrons) for its size as the battery does. The electrons in the wire are completely neutralized by the atoms of the wire.

Ratch

Related to Beginner question about voltage

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference between two points. It is often described as the force that pushes electrons through a circuit.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured in units of volts (V). It can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a type of electronic test instrument.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage is a type of electrical current that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) voltage maintains a constant direction. Most household outlets provide AC voltage, while batteries provide DC voltage.

4. How does voltage affect electrical devices?

The amount of voltage a device receives can affect its performance and lifespan. Too much or too little voltage can cause damage to electrical devices.

5. How can I increase or decrease voltage?

Voltage can be increased or decreased using devices such as transformers or voltage regulators. These devices alter the electrical current to provide the desired voltage level.