Beginner Programmer Seeks Creative Ideas for Graphics Project

In summary, the new graphics mode of Turbo C is hard to understand and program for. The beginner is having trouble figuring out what to make and needs help.
Ali Inam
I am just a beginner of programming and till now I have done much simple programming, just like printing multiplication tables or different sequences of (*) using FOR Loop.

Now, last week, my teacher introduced us to the new graphics mode of the Turbo C, and at the end of a lesson, she asked to to make a satisfactory program by next wednesday which must include different graphics. The graphics which I have learned so far is to make colourful circles, lines or ellipses.

Now I need some advice because I can't really figure out what I really should make. First I thought about simple circles and lines, then I realized that is would be too simple.

Any help please, or simple ideas. I am just a beginner !

Thanks a lot !
o:)

Technology news on Phys.org
Reads like a post from the past.

Most likely graphic modes are not of Turbo C, but of graphic card.

Argh, I have a lot of sources with nice examples of what can be done, but they won't run under Windows.

Simple idea - try to draw a plot of an interesting function, like abs(cos(k*x)*exp(-x^2)), with both axes and distance marks visible.

Borek said:
Reads like a post from the past.

Most likely graphic modes are not of Turbo C, but of graphic card.

Argh, I have a lot of sources with nice examples of what can be done, but they won't run under Windows.

Simple idea - try to draw a plot of an interesting function, like abs(cos(k*x)*exp(-x^2)), with both axes and distance marks visible.

Yes it does. Turbo-c ( forget the name.. BGI borland graphics interface?).. had a nice library that would iterate the support graphics modes of your video card.

I remember there was some sort of quasi standard numerical codes for the modes.. like 0 - 16 for the vga cards, and 0 - 255 for the super vga??

just reminiscing really. This does take me back to when Borland ruled.

You don't want to get me started on bgi and VGA programming. BGI worked for both Turbo C and Turbo Pascal, but if you really wanted to do something interesting you had to directly program VGA card. VGA card standard graphic modes were not better than 320*200*256 (13h) and 640*480*16, although with some tweaking (so called mode x for 256 colors) it was able to display better ones (but only if it was a full VGA, with 256 kB of video memory, earlier and cheaper models could have only 64 or 128 kB). Super VGA was never a standard, each maker had its own version of graphic modes, that got sorted out with VESA standard.

Good old times :smile: I still have many of my Pascal programs doing fancy things on VGA card, just no computer to play with them :cry: My mode x voxel terrain demo made even its way to Pascal SWAG.

I can suggest some creative ideas for your graphics project. Since you are a beginner, it is important to choose a project that is challenging but also achievable. One idea could be to create a simple game using graphics, such as a maze or a memory game. You could also try creating a digital art piece using different shapes and colors, or even incorporate animation into your project. Another idea could be to create a simple weather app that displays different weather icons based on the user's input. This would allow you to practice using different graphics and also incorporate some programming logic.

It is also important to remember that graphics programming can be used in various fields such as data visualization, computer-aided design, and animation. Think about your interests and try to incorporate them into your project. This will not only make it more enjoyable for you but also showcase your skills and creativity.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek inspiration from online resources. There are many tutorials and forums available where you can learn and get ideas from other programmers. Good luck with your project!

Related to Beginner Programmer Seeks Creative Ideas for Graphics Project

What is a graphics project?

A graphics project is a type of programming project that involves creating and manipulating visual elements, such as images, animations, and user interfaces. It often involves using software tools and programming languages specifically designed for creating graphics.

Do I need any prior programming experience to work on a graphics project?

While having some programming experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior experience to work on a graphics project. With dedication and a willingness to learn, beginners can also successfully complete graphics projects.

What are some creative ideas for a graphics project?

There are many possibilities for a graphics project, such as designing a game, creating a digital art piece, or developing a website with eye-catching visuals. It ultimately depends on your interests and skills, so think about what you enjoy and what you want to learn.

What are some helpful resources for beginner programmers working on a graphics project?

There are various online tutorials, forums, and communities dedicated to helping beginners learn about graphics programming. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, Codeacademy, and Stack Overflow. Additionally, there are also books and courses available for those who prefer a more structured approach to learning.

What are some important skills to have for a successful graphics project?

Some key skills for a successful graphics project include knowledge of programming languages commonly used in graphics, such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, as well as an understanding of design principles and techniques. It is also helpful to be detail-oriented, have good problem-solving skills, and be willing to experiment and try new things.