Beginner Cellular Automaton Books?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for beginner-level resources on Cellular Automaton, with a focus on those with a background in Trigonometry. The sources mentioned include A New Kind of Science, the Life Wiki, and a list of resources provided by a Reddit user. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to start with A New Kind of Science and explore other resources from there.
OzRamos
Does anyone know of any Cellular Automaton books or articles for the absolute beginner, assuming they only know Trigonometry? I've built a http://ozramos.com/blog/first-try-terrajs but they're completely naive.

I have a week off before school starts and would love to spend it learning this stuff. Here are the sources I know about:
  1. A New Kind of Science
  2. http://uncomp.uwe.ac.uk/genaro/Cellular_Automata_Repository/Books.html, but it doesn't really help me with choosing one
  3. The Life Wiki
  4. Reddit
There's a lot of sources out there, but for someone with absolutely no training, it's a little intimidating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Perhaps something here might interest you.
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Artificial_Life/Cellular_Automata/

Thanks I've added it to my list. I think I'm just going to start with A New Kind of Science and branch out from there. Thanks again!

Related to Beginner Cellular Automaton Books?

1. What is a cellular automaton?

A cellular automaton is a discrete mathematical model consisting of a grid of cells, each of which can be in a finite number of states. The cells update their states based on a set of rules that determine the state of each cell based on its own state and the states of its neighboring cells.

2. What is a good book for beginners to learn about cellular automata?

One of the most popular books for beginners is "Cellular Automata: A Discrete Universe" by Andrew Ilachinski. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject, covering various topics such as history, theory, and applications.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge to understand cellular automata?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge to understand cellular automata. However, having a basic understanding of mathematics and computer science may make it easier to grasp the concepts.

4. Are there any programming books specifically for beginners to learn about cellular automata?

Yes, "Programming the Cell Broadband Engine: A Beginner's Guide" by Michael A. Schmit is a great resource for those interested in learning about cellular automata programming. It provides step-by-step instructions and examples for programming on the Cell Broadband Engine architecture.

5. What are some real-world applications of cellular automata?

Cellular automata have been used in various fields, including biology, physics, economics, and computer science. Some specific applications include modeling biological systems, simulating traffic patterns, and generating fractal patterns for computer graphics.