Beats Production: Is Light or Sound a Simple Harmonic?

• I
  • Thread starter Molar
  • Start date
In summary, beats can occur in both sound and light waves, but they are not necessarily simple harmonic. They can also occur in machinery and visual patterns and are commonly used in radio receivers for selective filtering.
Molar
I was reading about superposition of two simple harmonic motions and beats. There were no examples given in my book. I was thinking if change of amplitude from a maximum to a minimum in periodic manner is referred to as beats, then we can realize it by either sound wave or light wave. Now my question is,
  1. Is light or sound wave simple harmonic ? I don't think so.
  2. Is there any other way to experience beats ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mixing (beating) is a very common phenomenon. It's mainly a matter of spotting the effect occurring. It doesn't only happen with simple harmonic waveforms.
1. A sinusoidal (sound) tone is, by definition, simple harmonic but you don't hear many of those except when they're produced electronically. A monochromatic light wave is also SH.
2. You can get beats in pieces of machinery when there are two parts that are vibrating at different frequencies. You can sometimes get beat effects in your eyes when watching a tv picture if you hum loudly. ( using your peripheral vision it may be stronger). Moiree fringes (Google it) are also beats between two different spatial frequencies of grid pattern. PAL and NTSC colour TV used to suffer from terrible spatial beats due to intermodulation between high frequency patterns in the picture and the colour subcarrier. Announcers' shirts and suits had to be chosen without busy patterns, to avoid distracting the viewers.
Radio receivers use mixing, to change signal frequencies (superheterodyne receivers) which shifts the wanted signal to an IF (intermediate frequency) for selective filtering etc.

Related to Beats Production: Is Light or Sound a Simple Harmonic?

1. Is sound a simple harmonic?

Yes, sound can be considered a simple harmonic motion. This means that the motion of sound waves can be described by a single sinusoidal function.

2. Is light a simple harmonic?

No, light cannot be considered a simple harmonic motion. Unlike sound waves, light waves do not exhibit a single sinusoidal pattern and instead have a complex wave structure.

3. What is a simple harmonic motion?

A simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal pattern of motion.

4. How does simple harmonic motion relate to beats production?

Simple harmonic motion is the basis for creating beats in music production. By using oscillators that produce simple harmonic motion, different frequencies can be combined to create a beat or rhythm.

5. Can light and sound waves be combined to create a beat?

Yes, light and sound waves can be combined to create a beat. This is known as a light and sound synchronization and is often used in music performances and light shows.