What Was the Original Frequency of the Piano's Out of Tune A Note?

In summary: It's not given so we cannot determine the initial frequency with the given information. In summary, the piano tuner played an out of tune A note and noticed a beat of 2 Hz when striking a 440 Hz tuning fork. After loosening the piano string, the beat went to 4 Hz. However, the information provided does not allow for determining the initial frequency of the note.
ortegavs

Homework Statement

Ok so a piano tuner plays an out of tune A note on his piano and then strikes his 440 hz tuning fork. He notices a beat of 2 Hz. When he loosens the piano string and plays the note again, the beat goes to 4 hz. What was the frequency of the note before he loosened the string? a.438 b. 440 c. 442. d. 444

Homework Equations

f1-f2=beat f
v=square root of T/m/L

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I know that its either 442 or 438Hz since the only way I can get 2 beats is 440-438 or 442-440. I also know that the string is loosen then T must go down and since its proportion to v, then v must go down also. Since v=fλ and since λ stays constant since the sting length does not change then frequency must go down. That means that the final frequency must be lower than 440 because if it was higher it would have to go up to 444. If its 440-436= 4hz and this means that the starting note had to be below 440. Is this the right way to think about? And I don't understand the relationship between change in v with change in beat frequency? For example in V goes up should beat f go up and vice versa.

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be either 442 or 438.

In case of initial 442 Hz, initially the beat frequency is 2 Hz. When he loosen the string, the frequency may become 436 making the beat frequency 4 Hz.
Same thing happens in the case of initial 438 Hz and final 436 Hz.

So there is no way of knowing with the information given if the starting frequency is 438 or 442? I thought about that also and reason that the final f should be found with the information given but the starting frequency, I just couldn't make a connection with anything.

ortegavs said:
So there is no way of knowing with the information given if the starting frequency is 438 or 442? I thought about that also and reason that the final f should be found with the information given but the starting frequency, I just couldn't make a connection with anything.

The additional information should be either the beats decrease first and then increase to 4 Hz or increase to 4 Hz.

Your thinking process is correct. The relationship between change in v and change in beat frequency is that as the tension (T) in the string decreases, the velocity (v) of the wave traveling through the string also decreases. This results in a decrease in the frequency of the note produced by the string. As the frequency of the note produced by the string decreases, the beat frequency also decreases. This is because the beat frequency is the difference between the frequencies of the two notes being played (in this case, the out of tune A note and the tuning fork). So as the frequency of the out of tune A note decreases, the beat frequency also decreases. Therefore, when the tension in the string is decreased, the beat frequency decreases from 2 Hz to 4 Hz, indicating that the frequency of the out of tune A note has also decreased.

What are "Beats on Piano String"?

"Beats on Piano String" refer to the phenomenon of two or more notes played simultaneously on a piano that produce a pulsating or vibrating sound. This occurs when two notes are close in pitch, but not exactly the same, and the sound waves interact with each other.

How are "Beats on Piano String" produced?

Beats on Piano String are produced when two notes with slightly different frequencies are played at the same time. The sound waves from each note interfere with each other, creating a pulsating sound. The speed of the pulsations is determined by the difference in frequency between the two notes.

What causes "Beats on Piano String" to occur?

"Beats on Piano String" occur due to the principle of superposition, which states that when two or more waves overlap, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. In the case of piano strings, the two notes create sound waves that interact with each other, resulting in the pulsating sound.

Can "Beats on Piano String" be heard in other instruments?

Yes, "Beats on Piano String" can be heard in other instruments such as guitars, violins, and other string instruments. They can also occur in wind instruments when two notes are played at the same time with slight variations in pitch.

Do "Beats on Piano String" have any practical applications?

Yes, "Beats on Piano String" have several practical applications, such as tuning instruments. By listening to the beats between two notes, musicians can adjust the tuning of their instruments to produce a more harmonious sound. They are also used in music production to create interesting and unique sounds.