Beam deformation. FEM (solidmechanics)

In summary, Payam30 is working on a question about deformation in the P direction. Using symmetry, they were able to create a correct quarter model and obtain the correct values for stiffness and force. However, there are some issues with numbering and using the correct formulas for beam deformation. Payam30 suggests using the frame member global stiffness matrix instead of the basic one and provides instructions for obtaining the structure stiffness matrix. They also mention the need to solve for displacements D5 and D7 and ask if numerical values are given for certain variables.
Payam30

Homework Statement

I have this question. I need to know the diformation in P direction. Here is the question

15yud5x.jpg

I use the symmetry and finally with a 1/4 modell I get the following:
2sajcp2.jpg

which is correct according to the instruction. K is the stiffness of the spring. which with symmetry becomes k/2 and also P

now
I have this deformation according to my knowledge
5n84za.jpg

If I apply the formulas for beam deformation which I am allowed to do(in basic level) I got this:
34oud5h.jpg

you see that deformation d1 in my third picture will have two componentes and it will not solve the problem. becouse :
294kvhs.jpg

you see that i get problem writing f1x and f1z.. Can anybody tell me how to sett the solustion?

f1x is the force in node 1 at x direction and so on.
f2x will be p/2 cos45 and f2z will be -p/2sin45 and M2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I wrote up there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Payam30: I would say your quarter model and displacements currently look good, except when you quarter the spring, I currently think its stiffness remains k, not 0.5*k. Also, I would probably number the displacements D5 and D7. I would currently say, use the frame member global stiffness matrix, instead of basic. I would probably number your three nodes node 1 for left end of spring, node 2 for lower end of frame member, and node 3 for upper end of frame member. I would probably number your members member 1 for the frame member, and member 2 for the spring.

Obtain the frame member global stiffness matrix for member 1, at a slope angle of alpha = 45 deg. Assemble its partitions into the structure stiffness matrix, uppercase K. The member global stiffness matrix for the spring is just k, which you add to K7,7.

In the structure stiffness matrix, note that you can cross out columns and rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 9.

After you do all of this, I think you end up with the equations in the attached file. Check my work, to see if I made any mistake, because I did this very hurriedly.

After that, invert the stiffness matrix in the attached file, or solve the two equations by hand using simultaneous solution, to solve for displacements D5 and D7.

Do you have given numerical values for E, I, A, L, k, and P?

Attachments

• fea-eqns01.png
    fea-eqns01.png
    961 bytes · Views: 412
Last edited:

Related to Beam deformation. FEM (solidmechanics)

1. What is beam deformation?

Beam deformation is the change in shape or displacement of a beam under load. It is an important aspect of solid mechanics, as it can affect the structural integrity and stability of a beam.

2. How is beam deformation calculated?

Beam deformation is typically calculated using finite element method (FEM) analysis. This involves dividing the beam into smaller elements and using mathematical equations to determine the displacement and stress within each element. The results are then combined to determine the overall deformation of the beam.

3. What factors can affect beam deformation?

There are various factors that can affect beam deformation, including the type of material, the shape and size of the beam, the magnitude and direction of the load, and the boundary conditions. Additionally, temperature changes, creep, and fatigue can also contribute to beam deformation over time.

4. How can beam deformation be minimized?

Beam deformation can be minimized by using appropriate materials and dimensions for the beam, as well as considering the expected load and environmental conditions. Proper installation and maintenance of the beam can also help prevent excessive deformation.

5. What are the limitations of FEM in predicting beam deformation?

While FEM is a powerful tool for predicting beam deformation, it does have some limitations. It relies on simplifications and assumptions, such as the beam being homogeneous and continuous, which may not always reflect real-world conditions. Additionally, the accuracy of FEM results can be affected by the quality of the input data and the complexity of the model.