BBC News: Manned Mars Misson for 2018

• Thread starter d3mm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars News
In summary, the group is looking for funding for their mission and it is still in the early stages. They still have to raise the money.
Physics news on Phys.org
The group still has to raise funding for their mission.
This is a nice way to say "it will not happen".
Unless some miracle occurs.

phinds said:
If you really believe this is going to happen, I've got some terrific real estate in Florida that you might be interested in. :smile:

Ocean front property in Arizona for sale...

The group still has to raise funding for their mission.

Don't forget that in 1972 Tito founded Wilshire Associates, whcih now provides investment management services to funds totalling of the order of $1 trillion.

$1bn a year funding is only a 0.1% management fee away :smile:

Drakkith said:

Hey, buzz off ... this is my sucker, uh, oops ... "customer" :smile:

I find the article interesting for its science content and visionary nature.

I can't tell if it will be funded or not. 1 or 2 billion isn't that much anymore. I really think it comes down the technical feasibility of his plan.

Five years? Ummm. . . .

d3mm said:
1 or 2 billion isn't that much anymore.
Which is why anyone with an extra 1 or 2 billion should send it to me. It's not that much.

I think the 1000 lb gorilla in the room we all want to avoid talking about here is that any trip to Mars by any country, private firm, or international effort is likely going to be a suicide mission. Maybe not so much a flyby but a 3 year deal with a landing is going to be tough. This isn't really at all comparable to going to the moon considering the logistical issues and the number of things that have to go perfectly right over a long period of time. I don't think that's going to change by 2018, 2028, or even 2038. So might as well do it in 2018 while we still have a somewhat naive sense of the danger and a pioneering spirit. That's how our species has always done it in the past.

I just think you get a relatively older couple to go who have lived a full life and are fully aware of what the situation is. Not a bad way to go out if you think about it, and I think you'd have plenty of volunteers. And who knows, they just might make it back.

Last edited:
d3mm said:
I can't tell if it will be funded or not. 1 or 2 billion isn't that much anymore. I really think it comes down the technical feasibility of his plan.
The current budget of NASA is over $18 billion annually. If the technology to get to Mars in 5 years was developed to the point of readiness for 1 or 2 billion I'm pretty sure they would have proposed doing it

It seems to becoming more and more common for private companies and independent groups to make outlandish claims about possible imminent manned space missions.

phinds said:
If you really believe this is going to happen, I've got some terrific real estate in Florida that you might be interested in. :smile:

Drakkith said:

How about a nice, slightly used bridge over the East River in New York City?

Doubt it. If you are awaiting donations now, there is no possible way to do this mission. The amount of time and planning would take years to accomplish. This is a pipe-dream.

Yet another private manned Mars mission? Ho hum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Ie7i6vRUM

Related to BBC News: Manned Mars Misson for 2018

1. What is the purpose of the BBC News manned Mars mission for 2018?

The purpose of the BBC News manned Mars mission for 2018 is to send humans to Mars for the first time in history. This mission aims to gather data and conduct experiments that will help us better understand the red planet and potentially pave the way for future human colonization.

2. How many people will be part of the manned Mars mission?

The manned Mars mission will consist of a team of four astronauts. This team will be carefully selected and trained for the mission, as it will require a high level of physical and mental endurance.

3. How long will the manned Mars mission last?

The mission is expected to last approximately 2 years. This includes the time it will take to travel to Mars, conduct experiments and research, and return back to Earth.

4. What technology will be used for the manned Mars mission?

The manned Mars mission will utilize advanced spacecraft and technology, including a powerful rocket for launch, a specialized spacecraft for travel and landing on Mars, and advanced suits and equipment for the astronauts to survive in the harsh Martian environment.

5. What are the potential risks of the manned Mars mission?

The manned Mars mission poses several risks, including the long duration of space travel and exposure to radiation, the challenges of landing and surviving on Mars, and the potential for equipment malfunctions. However, these risks are carefully considered and measures are put in place to ensure the safety of the astronauts.