BB code=rich --- weird behaviour

• Thread starter BvU
  • Start date
In summary, the user had some experiences with BB code=rich where they wanted to emphasize certain lines and make them red. However, when they tried to preview or post their reply, the red formatting did not show up. They then made the lines bold, which did appear in bold and red, but this was not reproducible. When quoting themselves, the red and bold formatting did appear in the editor, but the preview only showed the first three lines. The actual post showed all lines, but lines 6-8 were normal instead of red and bold. The user is questioning how this is supposed to work. They also suggest using abbreviations instead of \cos\phi_1 etc, but point out that the code=rich environment
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I had some weird experiences with BB code=rich: I wanted to emphasize a few lines and made them red. Didn't show up in preview or 'post reply'.
Made them bold as well and they came out bold and red. Not reproducibly.
Now when I quote myself, red and bold do appear in the editor, the preview cuts off after 3 lines.
[edit] actual post shows all lines, but lines 6-8 are normal instead of red and bold
How is this supposed this work ?
BvU said:
Instead of \cos\phi_1 etc you could define some abbreviations
Rich (BB code):
$$
\def\cp{\cos\phi}    \def\sp{\sin\phi}
\def\cpo {\cp_1}  \def\cptw {\cp_2}  \def\cpt {\cp_3}
\def\spo {\sp_1}  \def\sptw {\sp_2}  \def\spt {\sp_3}

\cp_1 \ \cp_2 \\
\sp_1 \ \sp_2 \\
\cpt \\ r\cpo\cptw\cpt \quad r\spo\sptw\spt
$$
gives

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the environment is not supposed to have bb-codes. They are cut away in the source code -> html conversion.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
So what does code=rich do ?

We're using an addon for the code numbering and some other formatting. There could be a conflict with that. Honestly I don't have the time right now to debug this. Rich mode for code is broken.

Related to BB code=rich --- weird behaviour

What is BB code=rich?

BB code=rich is a type of markup language used for formatting text on online forums and message boards.

What does BB code=rich do?

BB code=rich allows users to add styling and formatting to their text, such as bold, italic, and colored text, without the need for HTML coding.

Why is my BB code=rich not working?

There could be several reasons why your BB code=rich is not working, such as incorrect syntax, missing brackets, or unsupported code on the specific forum or platform you are using. Double-check your code and consult the forum's guidelines for supported BB code=rich tags.

Can I use BB code=rich on any website?

No, BB code=rich is only supported on websites and forums that have enabled it. It is not a universal markup language like HTML.

Is BB code=rich the same as HTML?

No, BB code=rich is a simplified version of HTML, specifically designed for online forums and message boards. While they have some similarities, they are not interchangeable.