How to pronounce Chevrolet

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, Chevy says that the "t" sound in "Chevrolet" is not pronounced in the same way as in English, and that different French cars have different pronunciations.
Saint
How?[?]

Physics news on Phys.org
Chevy?:smile:

Where Saint is from (Malaysia, I think), people speak Malay, which is a really straight-forward language in the sense that 'ch' ALWAYS sound like 'ch' as in chop and never 'sh'. People from this part of the world find English very difficult, and we have a difficulty pronouncing words like conscience (we pronounce the science bit as science), soupcon (the -con part) , Arkansas (-sas part), Tuscan (Tus-), etc. correctly.

Saint, I don't know what the proper pronunciation of Chevrolet is, but I am guessing that 'Chev-' is pronounced 'Shev-'.

The only reason why I think that is because I love listening to the American Pie song, which includes 'drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was dry' in its chorus.

Originally posted by recon
Saint, I don't know what the proper pronunciation of Chevrolet is, but I am guessing that 'Chev-' is pronounced 'Shev-'.

Yes.
Shev-row-lay

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
Chevy?:smile:

That's really funny!
When I was about 9 years old I was arguing with my friend about this (he was Dominican).
He was saying the "t" was pronounced, and I was arguing that it wasn't.
When his mother came home we asked her to settle the argument.
She looked at both of us for a minute, said "Chevy!", walked in the house and shut the door behind her.
(Maybe it was one of those things that was funnier if you were there)

Well, it is a French word and thus pronounced differently. How about Renault, Citroën, Peugeot, etc.

Renault = Ren-oh
Citroen = Citron...kinda
Peugeot = Per-jheau...ooh that's hard to explain...either 'jh' or jzh'...its easier to say it.

Originally posted by jimmy p
Citroen = Citron...kinda
No - Citro-e(n)

yeah we are lazy in england, it's just the shortest way to say it i suppose..

Origionally Posted By Monique
How about Renault, Citroën, Peugeot, etc.

French Cars always break down, don't they Jimmyp.

yeah...stupid renault 19. We took it to the mechanic, and he didnt seem to know what was up, he just cleaned it a bit (the electronics n stuff) and we got to hope for the best...

pueguot(sp?) is pronounced pewjo (soft j).

Uh, definitely not 'pew', we have tons of peugeots in england, and its pronounced 'Per' but i do like the soft j on 'jo' wish i thought of that!

Püjo

I don't think English has any u sound like that. The first syllable is somwhere between pew and poo.

? I am confused, its not the english, its french! Andy back me up here mate!

Originally posted by Saint
How?[?]

I say, "Shivver Lay"!

1. How do you pronounce Chevrolet?

Chevrolet is pronounced as "shev-roh-lay" with the accent on the second syllable.

2. Is the "t" silent in Chevrolet?

Yes, the "t" is silent in Chevrolet. It is pronounced as "shev-roh-lay".

3. What is the correct pronunciation of Chevrolet?

The correct pronunciation of Chevrolet is "shev-roh-lay".

4. Is Chevrolet pronounced as "Chevy"?

Yes, Chevrolet is often referred to as "Chevy" and can be pronounced as "shev-ee" or "shev-ee-roh-lay".

5. How do you say Chevrolet in Spanish?

In Spanish, Chevrolet is pronounced as "che-vro-let" with the accent on the second syllable, similar to the English pronunciation.