Battery that will run a dc motor

In summary, it is possible to build a device that uses a battery to run a DC motor, which then runs a 3-phase AC generator to produce output. However, the battery will not be able to fully recharge itself due to energy losses in the conversion process. This means that it is not a practical solution and violates the conservation of energy. It is not possible to create a perpetual motion machine and it is against the rules to discuss it on this forum.
Mujahid
hi i am new to this forum. i want to use a battery that will run a dc motor, dc motor will run three phase ac generator through mechanical coupling and the three phase ac generator will produce out put, now two phases of the ac generator will b utlilized by the load and 1 phase will recharge the battery. my question is wheather its possible or not?

Physics news on Phys.org

yes is possible. But you will need to separately and independently recharge the battery periodically since friction and electrical losses cannot be overcome.
In other words its impractical.

Try here for practical insights: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_car

sir you mean its theoratically possible but practically impossible?

no I mean it can be done but accomplishes nothing...except temporarily until the battery runs down...trying to recharge the battery from the output consumes more energy than it produces...

Even theoretically with 100% efficiency and no losses anywhere in the system the 1 phase used for recharging cannot recharge the battery faster than it is being drained if there is a load on the other 2 phases.

It is certainly possible to build the device you describe, but it won't recharge the battery as fast as it is drained.

No, it is not possible. Violates conservation of energy.

how sir?

is there any alternative?

Mujahid said:
hi i am new to this forum. i want to use a battery that will run a dc motor, dc motor will run three phase ac generator through mechanical coupling and the three phase ac generator will produce out put, now two phases of the ac generator will b utlilized by the load and 1 phase will recharge the battery. my question is wheather its possible or not?

If you use part of the converted a/c power to charge the battery there will still be a net loss of energy (due to irreversibilities in the conversion process). So strictly speaking you can "charge" the battery, but you can't fully recharge it such that it violates the conservation of energy.

In other words you cannot create a perpetual motion machine. The battery will eventually drain completely.

CS

Yes, charge it with an external power source.

This is the third post of this exact topic by the same user...

Do not multipost...

CS

can we eliminate all the losses?

is there any research on practical perpetual motion machine?

Mujahid said:
is there any research on practical perpetual motion machine?

We do not discuss perpetual motion machines here on the PF because it is a waste of time. Please re-read the Rules link at the top of the page.

Thread closed.

Related to Battery that will run a dc motor

1. How do I choose the right battery for my DC motor?

Choosing the right battery for your DC motor depends on several factors such as the voltage and current requirements of the motor, the desired runtime, and the size and weight limitations. It is important to select a battery with a voltage that matches the motor's requirement and a current rating that can handle the motor's peak power consumption. Additionally, consider the battery's energy capacity and choose one that can provide enough runtime for your application. Finally, make sure to select a battery that is small and light enough to fit your device and meet any weight restrictions.

2. Can I use any type of battery to power a DC motor?

No, not all batteries are suitable for powering a DC motor. The most common types of batteries used for this purpose are alkaline, lithium-ion, and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to choose the right one based on your specific requirements. For example, alkaline batteries are inexpensive and widely available but have a limited energy capacity, while lithium-ion batteries have a high energy density but can be more expensive.

3. What is the best way to connect a battery to a DC motor?

The best way to connect a battery to a DC motor is to use a motor controller. A motor controller acts as an intermediary between the battery and the motor, regulating the power supply to the motor and providing additional features such as speed control and direction control. This method is safer and more efficient than connecting the battery directly to the motor.

4. How long will a battery run a DC motor?

The runtime of a battery powering a DC motor depends on the capacity of the battery and the power consumption of the motor. To calculate the runtime, divide the battery's energy capacity (in watt-hours) by the motor's power consumption (in watts). For example, if you have a battery with a capacity of 100 watt-hours and a motor that consumes 10 watts, the runtime would be 10 hours (100 watt-hours / 10 watts = 10 hours).

5. Can I use multiple batteries to power a DC motor?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple batteries to power a DC motor. This can be useful in situations where a single battery does not provide enough voltage or current for the motor's requirements. However, it is important to properly connect and balance the batteries to ensure they are providing the same amount of power and do not get overcharged or drained unevenly. It is also essential to use batteries of the same type, capacity, and age to avoid any potential issues.