Battery & Resistance: Why is There a Difference?

In summary, the DMM resistance measurement is not appropriate for measuring the output resistance of a voltage source. Instead, make 2 output voltage and current measurements using 2 different resistors, and solve the 2 simultaneous equations for the source resistance of the voltage source.
ttsky
Hi every one,

I placed a multimeter probe across the terminals of a 1.5 v alkaline battery and saw 2 M Ohms, I did the same across a mV power supply at 1.5 volts and got little below 1.5 K ohms. I don't understand what makes them have diffrent resistance, and exactly why?

I did this because I had an odd situation with a SIL 2 (safty integrity level) rated gas analyser, the analyser would only work with a real sensor or a battery at correct voltage, but not a simulator (e.g mV supply).The diffrence as it seems is the sensor has very high impedance. So i measured the resistance of the battery and the supply, and now i am confused why the battery shows such high resistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ttsky said:
Hi every one,

I placed a multimeter probe across the terminals of a 1.5 v alkaline battery and saw 2 M Ohms, I did the same across a mV power supply at 1.5 volts and got little below 1.5 K ohms. I don't understand what makes them have diffrent resistance, and exactly why?

I did this because I had an odd situation with a SIL 2 (safty integrity level) rated gas analyser, the analyser would only work with a real sensor or a battery at correct voltage, but not a simulator (e.g mV supply).The diffrence as it seems is the sensor has very high impedance. So i measured the resistance of the battery and the supply, and now i am confused why the battery shows such high resistance.

That's not how you measure the output resistance of a voltage source. The DMM resistance measurement is for passive devices, not for active sources of voltage or current.

Instead, make 2 output voltage and current measurements using 2 different resistors, and solve the 2 simultaneous equations for the source resistance of the voltage source. Are you familiar with that measurement technique?

ttsky: You might want to read up on how an ohmmeter works.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohmmeter

A more accurate type of ohmmeter has an electronic circuit that passes a constant current (I) through the resistance, and another circuit that measures the voltage (V) across the resistance. According to the following equation, derived from Ohm's Law, the value of the resistance (R) is given by: R= V/I

Related to Battery & Resistance: Why is There a Difference?

1. What is the relationship between battery and resistance?

The battery provides the energy necessary for the flow of electrons, while resistance is the opposition to the flow of electrons. In other words, the battery creates the potential for the movement of electrons, and resistance limits the amount of flow.

2. Why is there a difference in voltage between batteries?

The voltage of a battery is determined by the chemical reactions happening inside it. Different types of batteries have different chemical reactions, resulting in varying voltages.

3. How does resistance affect the performance of a battery?

The higher the resistance, the more difficult it is for the electrons to flow, resulting in a slower and weaker performance of the battery. This is why high resistance can cause batteries to drain faster.

4. Can a battery's resistance be changed?

Yes, the resistance of a battery can be changed by altering the material used, the thickness of the material, or the length of the conductive path. This is often done in the design of batteries to optimize their performance.

5. How does temperature affect battery resistance?

Temperature can have a significant impact on battery resistance. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the battery decreases, allowing for more efficient flow of electrons. However, extreme temperatures can also cause damage to the battery, shortening its lifespan.