Battery Problem, Power delivered ,energy dissipated

In summary, the conversation is about an automotive battery with an emf of 11.1 V and a current of 20.0 A when supplying power to the starter motor. The questions include calculating the power delivered by the battery due to chemical reactions, the power delivered to the starter, the decrease in chemical energy of the battery, and the energy dissipated in the battery during a specific time interval. The equations used include P=(E)(I), Ps=VI, E=Pt, Q=(P-Ps)t, and r=\DeltaV/I. To solve the problems, it is helpful to draw a diagram of the battery and its components.
hitman0097

Homework Statement

An automotive battery has an emf of 11.1 V. When supplying power to the starter motor, the current in the battery is 20.0 A, and the terminal voltage of the battery is 10.6 V.

a.)How much power is delivered by the battery due to the chemical reactions within the battery when the current in the battery is 20 A?

b.)How much of this power is delivered to the starter when the current in the battery is 20 A?

c.)By how much does the chemical energy of the battery decrease if the current in the starter is 20 A for 6.9 s?

d.)How much energy is dissipated in the battery during those 6.9 seconds?

Homework Equations

P=(E)(I);where E is the emf
Ps=VI; power to the starter V=10.6 in this case.
E=Pt; t is time P is (E)(I) power
Q=(P-Ps)t; the energy would be dissipated in the form of Heat (Q)
r=[tex]\Delta[/tex]V/I; internal resistance inside the battery, delta V would be 11.1-10.6
Not sure if internal resistance is needed I didn't use it. but it might be needed

The Attempt at a Solution

P=11.1*20=222W? or kW? got it wrong so I tried 222^-6 kw wrong
Then I am just lost, any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I really need so type of help.

Try drawing a picture, with the physical battery being a box that has two things inside of it: the emf source and the internal resistance. Then connect the box's external terminals to "starter motor." Draw an arrow to show where the given value of current flows. When you use your formula P=EI, you will have to make a choice which voltage is the right one to substitute into it, either the 11.1 V or the 10.6 V.

Related to Battery Problem, Power delivered ,energy dissipated

1. What is a battery problem?

A battery problem refers to any issue or malfunction that affects the performance of a battery. This can include problems with charging, retaining charge, or delivering power to a device.

2. How is power delivered by a battery?

Power is delivered by a battery through a chemical reaction that occurs inside the battery. This reaction produces electrons, which flow through the battery's circuit and power the connected device.

3. What factors affect the power delivered by a battery?

The power delivered by a battery can be affected by several factors, including the type and size of the battery, the age and condition of the battery, and the demands of the device being powered.

4. What is energy dissipation in relation to batteries?

Energy dissipation refers to the process of energy being lost or transferred into other forms. In the context of batteries, energy dissipation occurs when the battery's power is used to perform work, such as powering a device, and is then converted into heat or other forms of energy.

5. How can I prevent energy dissipation in my batteries?

To prevent energy dissipation in your batteries, it is important to use them properly and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. This includes avoiding overcharging or using the battery in extreme temperatures, as well as properly storing and disposing of the battery when it is no longer in use.