Battery Problem (finding current w/ batteries in parallel)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current flowing through a 200ohm resistor in a circuit with multiple batteries and resistors. The individual attempts at solving the problem involve using junction and loop equations, as well as a matrix calculator. The final solution is a current of 0.041A and a voltage of 8.1V.
aleksxxx

Homework Statement

Find the current flowing through the 200ohm resistor
physics2.jpg

E1=5v
E2=10v
E3=15v
r1=3ohms
r2=6ohms
r3=9ohms

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I1+I2+I3=I
I can't seem to get a loop rule that will allow me to solve for I though.

I came up with the equivalent resistance in the three resistors equal to 1.6ohms.

I tried to draw a simplified circuit diagram, but i am not sure how to do that with different voltages on batteries in parallel.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Equivalent resistance won't help. Youve got 4 unknowns and need 4 equations. Theres enough information to use one junction equation and 3 loops. Make use of the inner loops, and use a matrix to avoid algebra mistakes whenever possible

turdferguson said:
Equivalent resistance won't help. Youve got 4 unknowns and need 4 equations. Theres enough information to use one junction equation and 3 loops. Make use of the inner loops, and use a matrix to avoid algebra mistakes whenever possible

i tried that and i seem to just keep proving that I2=I2, I1=I1, etc...

http://www.bluebit.gr/matrix-calculator/linear_equations.aspx

Plug your equations into this matrix calculator to see if youre missing a necessary loop or if youre just hung up on how to reach the solution

I worked on the loop equations more and found I1, I2, and I3 in terms of I.

I then substituted those into the I1+I2+I3=I equation getting a current (I) of .041 A leading to a deltaV of 8.1V.

Does this sound right? The Current was .137A when connected in series and the deltaV of the 200 ohm resistor was 27.4V.

Thanks

Related to Battery Problem (finding current w/ batteries in parallel)

1. What is the difference between batteries in parallel and series?

In parallel, batteries are connected side by side to increase the overall current output, while in series, batteries are connected end to end to increase the overall voltage output.

2. How can I determine the current in a parallel battery circuit?

To find the current in a parallel battery circuit, you will need to add up the individual currents of each battery. This means that the current in a parallel circuit will always be greater than the current of a single battery.

3. Can I mix different types of batteries in a parallel circuit?

It is not recommended to mix different types of batteries in a parallel circuit, as each battery may have a different voltage and current output. This can lead to imbalances and potential damage to the batteries.

4. How do I troubleshoot a battery problem in a parallel circuit?

If you are experiencing issues with your batteries in a parallel circuit, you can try checking the connections to ensure they are secure and that the batteries are properly inserted. You may also want to check the voltage and current output of each battery to ensure they are balanced.

5. Is it safe to leave batteries in a parallel circuit when not in use?

It is generally safe to leave batteries in a parallel circuit when they are not in use. However, it is always a good idea to disconnect the circuit when not in use to prevent any potential hazards or damage to the batteries.