Bathroom scale compression problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation, mgh=1/2kx^2, to determine the scale reading when jumping from a height of 1.4 m. The equation is based on conservation of mechanical energy, where the initial gravitational potential energy is transformed into spring potential energy. The spring constant, k, and the displacement of the spring, x, can be determined using Hooke's law and the data provided. Additionally, it is noted that when jumping from a height, the distance contracted by the spring should be taken into consideration.
shrtweez13
if you stand on a bathroom scale, the spring inside the scale compresses .50 mm, and it tells you your weight is 700 N. Now if you jump on the scale from a height of 1.4 m, what does the scale read at this peak.

i found an equation to use, i just can't figure out what I'm solving for. I'm using
mgh = 1/2kx^2

i have m (71.4) g (9.8) and h (1.4). what i don't know is k and x. can anyone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
shrtweez13 said:
i found an equation to use, i just can't figure out what I'm solving for. I'm using
mgh = 1/2kx^2
This is a statement of conservation of mechanical energy: the initial gravitational PE is transformed into spring PE.

k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring from its uncompressed position. You can figure out the spring constant from Hooke's law (using the data supplied in the problem set up): F = -kx.

Yeah k can be determined from the given data.

One more thing!

When you jump from a ht. of 1.4 m, the gravitational PE lost by you is definitely stored as PE in spring. But You are not actually falling 1.4 m but you are falling 1.4 m PLUS the distance contracted bythe spring.

In this case, it wouldn't make much of a difference(why?)
Anyway, you should know the concept! :smile:

Related to Bathroom scale compression problem

1. What is the "Bathroom Scale Compression Problem"?

The Bathroom Scale Compression Problem is a common issue where the weight displayed on a bathroom scale may not accurately reflect a person's true weight due to the compression of the scale's surface.

2. How does the Bathroom Scale Compression Problem occur?

The Bathroom Scale Compression Problem occurs when the scale's surface, usually made of plastic or glass, compresses under the weight of the person standing on it. This results in a lower weight reading as the scale is not able to accurately measure the pressure being exerted on its surface.

3. Can the Bathroom Scale Compression Problem be fixed?

While the Bathroom Scale Compression Problem cannot be completely fixed, there are some steps that can be taken to minimize its impact. These include using a scale with a higher weight capacity, placing the scale on a hard and level surface, and distributing weight evenly on the scale's surface.

4. How can I determine if my scale is affected by the Bathroom Scale Compression Problem?

To determine if your scale is affected by the Bathroom Scale Compression Problem, you can try weighing yourself on a different scale or placing a heavy object, such as a weight or dumbbell, on the scale to see if it accurately reflects the weight. If the readings are different, then your scale may be affected by the problem.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a traditional bathroom scale?

Yes, there are alternative methods for measuring weight that do not involve using a bathroom scale. These include using a body fat caliper, measuring body circumference, or using a BMI calculator. These methods may provide a more accurate measure of a person's overall health and body composition.