Basics True or False, Momentum Problem

In summary, the author states that the equation for conservation of momentum is not correct and that kinetic energy is conserved in elastic collisions.
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

2m4ysgp.gif

This problem has analogies in the game of pool. Puck 1 slides on a horizontal, frictionless surface with velocity v and collides elastically with stationary puck 2; each puck has the same mass, m. The pucks move off with velocities v1 and v2, as shown. The angles θ1 and θ2 are measured relative to the initial direction of puck 1.

Which of these statements is correct?

1) v^2 = v1^2+v2^2
2) This problem has analogies to pool because pool balls have equal mass and roll without friction. [As long as rotational KE of pool balls is neglected, the analogy is perfect.]
3) In this problem, linear momentum is conserved but kinetic energy is not conserved.
4) 0 = v1sinθ1−v2sinθ2
5) If b+c = a for three non-zero vectors, and b^2+c^2 = a^2, then the angle between a and c is 90°.

Homework Equations

mv1 + mv2 = mv1' + mv2'

The Attempt at a Solution

1) False
2) True
3) False
4) False
5) True

Thinking why I am wrong here, maybe it is number 1? Using the momentum formula, I find that v1 = v1' + v2', not the equation described.

best regards,
Noobe

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
funny how everyone is looking for an answer. not to answer someone help. people are very greedy. or at least most of them. I never took the stuff above so I can't answer

Sorry I would help you but I'm still learning first year physics

maybe i should explain further,

1) False, because v = v1 + v2 because of conservation of momentum

2) True, because it makes sense that a pool table would be similar and even says in the question

3) False, linear momentum is of course conserved because of the conservation of momentum

4) False, they go off at completely different velocities right? even in y direction

5) True, The picture is at a 90 degree angle and I read somewhere that this is true, because of right triangles and c and b are the legs of the triangle

Last edited:
Why do you think kinetic energy is not conserved??

oh woops, typo

still looks wrong guys. maybe wat is going on

Kinetic energy and linear momentum both are conserved in elastic collisions.

I heard that was true about energy but maybe not momentum,?

also, the question asks one or the other right? one has to be conserved and the other cannot be conserved. I want to say that kinetic energy is defentiely conserved because where else does the energy go right.

please let me know if anyone understands

Last edited by a moderator:
if that was not an elastic collision then Kinetic energy would not have been conserved because there will be energy loses in form of sound energy,change in shape of ball,heat energy, etc

You should try to actually compute a few answers. You can compute everything there is to compute with conservation of energy and conservation of momentum (both in the x and y direction)

1) Since the collision is elastic, kinetic energy is conserved. If you would write down what that means, it would be easy to see the right answer.

2) ok

3) ok, but you seem to have misread the question, because the part about energy conservation is wrong.

4) try to compute this.

5) "because of right triangles" isn't very sound reasoning. Have you heard of the cosine rule?

dont worry dudes, i just asked my teacher and he told me the answers

Related to Basics True or False, Momentum Problem

1. What is "Basics True or False, Momentum Problem"?

"Basics True or False, Momentum Problem" is a type of physics problem that tests your understanding of the basic principles of momentum. It involves analyzing situations and determining whether a statement about momentum is true or false.

2. How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a measure of an object's motion and is represented by the symbol p.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved, or remains constant, in a closed system.

4. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is typically measured in kilograms-meters per second (kg-m/s).

5. How does momentum affect the motion of an object?

Momentum plays a significant role in an object's motion. The greater the momentum of an object, the harder it is to stop or change its direction. This is because momentum is a measure of an object's inertia, or its resistance to change in motion. In other words, an object with a large momentum will continue moving in the same direction unless acted upon by an outside force.