Basics of Limits: Why Absolute Value?

In summary, the question is about the difference between the statements |a_n - L| < \epsilon and L - a_n < \epsilon and why the absolute value is necessary in the definition of convergence. The reason for this is that limits are all about showing two numbers getting really close together and the best way to measure distance in one dimension is through absolute value. This allows for both numbers to be compared without worrying about which is larger.
Born2Perform
I know its a banal question but I am new to calculus course and there are no math teachers in summer... also my book does not explain it

Why it is
[tex]\mid a_n - L \mid < \varepsilon [/tex]

And not just
[tex]L - a_n < \varepsilon [/tex]

??
wouldn't the relation be the same?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the definition of convergence did not include the absolute values, it would mean, for instance, that the constant sequence [itex]a_n = L+1[/itex] converges to L since for all n, [itex]L-(L+1)=-1<\epsilon[/itex].

The statement [tex]\mid a_n - L \mid < \varepsilon [/tex] requires [tex]a_n[/tex] to be no more than [tex]\varepsilon [/tex] away from L, that is to say [tex]a_n\in (L- \varepsilon , L+ \varepsilon ) [/tex];
whereas the statement [tex]L - a_n < \varepsilon [/tex] only requires [tex]a_n[/tex] less than L by no more than [tex]\varepsilon [/tex], that is to say [tex]a_n\in (L- \varepsilon , L) [/tex].

Here's a more intuitive way of looking at it.. limits are all about showing two numbers get really close together...

The best (only) way to measure distance in one dimension is absolute value. So of course you'd use that

As office shredder said, |a- b| is the distance between numbers a and b. Of course, a distance is never negative and the distance from a to b is the same as the distance from b to a so it shouldn't matter which is larger. The number 7 is 3 steps away from the number 4. I could see that, of course by subtracting 7- 4= 3 but when I am using variables, I don't know which is larger. |7- 4|= |4- 7|= 3 regardless of which is larger.

Related to Basics of Limits: Why Absolute Value?

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It tells us what value a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a certain point.

2. Why do we need to use absolute value when dealing with limits?

Absolute value is necessary for determining the limit of a function at a point because it allows us to consider both positive and negative values of the function. Without using absolute value, the limit may not exist or may yield incorrect results.

3. How do you solve a limit with absolute value?

To solve a limit with absolute value, you first need to determine the left-hand and right-hand limits at the given point. Then, you can evaluate the limit by substituting the value of the limit into the function and considering the absolute value separately for positive and negative values.

4. Can limits with absolute value have a limit that does not exist?

Yes, limits with absolute value can have a limit that does not exist. This can happen when the left-hand and right-hand limits do not approach the same value, or when the function oscillates between positive and negative values at the given point.

5. How is the concept of absolute value used in real-life applications?

Absolute value is used in many real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate distance and displacement, in economics to determine profit and loss, and in engineering to analyze signals and noise. It is also used in various optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.