Basic resister circuit with two batteries

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem with two batteries. They are lost and need help understanding the superposition theorem.
justin15501

Homework Statement

https://i.gyazo.com/ec36f9345b56810598a5b2cebc62aeb7.png
ec36f9345b56810598a5b2cebc62aeb7.png

Determine the current in the 7ohm, 8ohm, and 4ohm resister.

Homework Equations

The series/parallel equations for equivalent resisters. and V=RI.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm normally pretty good with these circuit questions, but I'm really lost when it comes to using a second battery. When I look at the circuit, it looks like the 9V battery flows into a parallel system with the 12V battery and the resisters. At the same time I see spots where I would imagine the current opposing each other. Basically, I'm wondering how to approach a problem with two batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied Kirchoff's voltage and current laws?

Likes justin15501
justin15501 said:

Homework Statement

https://i.gyazo.com/ec36f9345b56810598a5b2cebc62aeb7.png
Determine the current in the 7ohm, 8ohm, and 4ohm resister.

Homework Equations

The series/parallel equations for equivalent resisters. and V=RI.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm normally pretty good with these circuit questions, but I'm really lost when it comes to using a second battery. When I look at the circuit, it looks like the 9V battery flows into a parallel system with the 12V battery and the resisters. At the same time I see spots where I would imagine the current opposing each other. Basically, I'm wondering how to approach a problem with two batteries.

For such problems you use the "superposition theorem":
The total current in any part of a linear circuit equals the algebraic sum of the currents produced by each source separately.

This is explained in many texts, for instance http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/suppos.html#c2 with application examples following. But before or instead of wading through texts, you would do yourself more good by first trying to see that it makes sense, and possibly even proving it by yourself - you almost got the essence of it in what you wrote! :approve:

Likes justin15501
CWatters said:
Have you studied Kirchoff's voltage and current laws?
We discussed that total voltage is zero and current out is equal to current in.

epenguin said:
For such problems you use the "superposition theorem":
The total current in any part of a linear circuit equals the algebraic sum of the currents produced by each source separately.

This is explained in many texts, for instance http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/suppos.html#c2 with application examples following. But before or instead of wading through texts, you would do yourself more good by first trying to see that it makes sense, and possibly even proving it by yourself - you almost got the essence of it in what you wrote! :approve:
I read through the link you posted. So I would have to calculate the current for each battery, and then add them together? Would it be like separating the problem into two different problems, each with one of the two batteries? Maybe if you could get me started it would help?

I don't see right now how this problem can be reduced to a series or parallel configuration or a mix.

However it is not so hard to solve you apply Kirchoff's Current Law in the top (or bottom) junction and you ll have
##I_7=I_8+I_4## (1)
(noticing that the current ##I_7## that flows through the 7ohm resistor is the same as that through the 12V battery, and similarly the ##I_8## current is that same as that flows through the 9V battery.
So we have equation (1) that has 3 unknowns, we still need 2 more equations to extract from the circuit, so that we ll have total 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

Applying Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) in the left loop with the 12V battery, the 7ohm and 4ohm resistors we get
##12-4I_4-7I_7=0## (2)

You can similarly apply KVL in the loop with the 9V battery, the 8ohm and 4ohm resistor and get the (3) equation.

And then you have to solve a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

Likes justin15501
Delta² said:
I don't see right now how this problem can be reduced to a series or parallel configuration or a mix.

However it is not so hard to solve you apply Kirchoff's Current Law in the top (or bottom) junction and you ll have
##I_7=I_8+I_4## (1)
(noticing that the current ##I_7## that flows through the 7ohm resistor is the same as that through the 12V battery, and similarly the ##I_8## current is that same as that flows through the 9V battery.
So we have equation (1) that has 3 unknowns, we still need 2 more equations to extract from the circuit, so that we ll have total 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

Applying Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) in the left loop with the 12V battery, the 7ohm and 4ohm resistors we get
##12-4I_4-7I_7=0## (2)

You can similarly apply KVL in the loop with the 9V battery, the 8ohm and 4ohm resistor and get the (3) equation.

And then you have to solve a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns.
Ok, apparently I don't know KVL as well as I thought. How would you divide up this problem? Is there ever a point where you would include both batteries in a loop "equation"?

First step is to mark up the circuit with arrows indicating the three currents. It does not matter which direction they point. Later one or more may turn out to be negative which means the current flows the opposite way to your initial choice.

Then add arrows for the voltages across each resistor. These must be consistent with your current arrows.

Then write KVL and KCL equations.

Likes justin15501
CWatters said:
First step is to mark up the circuit with arrows indicating the three currents. It does not matter which direction they point. Later one or more may turn out to be negative which means the current flows the opposite way to your initial choice.

Then add arrows for the voltages across each resistor. These must be consistent with your current arrows.

Then write KVL and KCL equations.
So would the currents be
12V + 9V - I8 - I7
12V - 4I - 7I
9V - 4I - 8I
?

justin15501 said:
So would the currents be
12V + 9V - I8 - I7
12V - 4I - 7I
9V - 4I - 8I
?
Current through 7 ohm and 8 ohm is not same. Write KVL in the form of two equations with two unknown currents.

Likes justin15501
cnh1995 said:
Current through 7 ohm and 8 ohm is not same. Write KVL in the form of two equations with two unknown currents.
I'm not sure how to write the equations. Normally I would write the equation according to the path the electrons would flow, but since there's two batteries I'm not sure where things start and end and what flows against what. Sorry, I'm just having a little trouble getting this.

justin15501 said:
I'm not sure how to write the equations. Normally I would write the equation according to the path the electrons would flow, but since there's two batteries I'm not sure where things start and end and what flows against what. Sorry, I'm just having a little trouble getting this.
There are two loops in the circuit. Start from any battery at any terminal. For example, say current through 8 ohm is I1 towards left and current through 4 ohm is I2 downward. So, current through 7 ohm is I1-I2, towards left. You can choose any directions for I1 and I2. Using these two unknowns, write KVL equations for two loops.

justin15501 said:
I read through the link you posted. So I would have to calculate the current for each battery, and then add them together? Would it be like separating the problem into two different problems, each with one of the two batteries? Maybe if you could get me started it would help?

Yes.

justin15501 said:
I'm not sure how to write the equations. Normally I would write the equation according to the path the electrons would flow,

Re: KVL/KCL... You can't do that if you don't know which way electrons flow until the end. You appear to have skipped the first step which is to mark up the circuit to define what you mean by +ve current flow in each loop. The direction is arbitrary. You should then use that to write the equations. Later if a current turns out to be negative you know that your initial assumption about the direction of current was "wrong". It is possible to skip straight to equations BUT it is very easy to make errors particularly with the sign of a voltage or current.

Re: The superposition theorem is probably better at solving this problem but you should understand both methods.

For an example KVL/KCL see..

and an example solved using superposition..

Thankyou everyone for all the help! I was able to get the right answer and check it in class! Thanks a ton everyone!

Related to Basic resister circuit with two batteries

1. What is a basic resistor circuit with two batteries?

A basic resistor circuit with two batteries is a simple electrical circuit that includes two batteries and a resistor. The batteries provide a source of voltage, and the resistor limits the flow of current through the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of a resistor in this circuit?

The purpose of a resistor in this circuit is to limit the amount of current that flows through the circuit. This helps to protect the batteries from being overloaded and also helps to control the amount of voltage that is delivered to the rest of the circuit.

3. How do the batteries in this circuit affect the flow of current?

The batteries in this circuit provide a source of voltage, which creates a potential difference between the positive and negative terminals. This potential difference causes electrons to flow through the circuit, creating a current. The number of batteries used can also affect the overall voltage and current in the circuit.

4. What happens if the resistor is removed from the circuit?

If the resistor is removed from the circuit, the flow of current will increase significantly. This can cause the batteries to be overloaded and potentially damage the other components in the circuit. It is important to have a resistor in the circuit to control the flow of current.

5. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in this circuit?

In this circuit, voltage and current are directly proportional, meaning that an increase in voltage leads to an increase in current. However, the amount of resistance in the circuit affects the current, as it limits the flow of electrons. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.