Basic RC Circuit but with parallel switch?

In summary, when the switch is closed, the current flows through the short closed switch and the voltage across the capacitor and resistor is 0.
anthonuc

Homework Statement

I want to find ix in the circuit below when the switch opens at t=0 after having been closed for a long time.

Homework Equations

v(t) = v(infinity) + (v(0)-v(infinity))e-t/RC
i(t) = C dv(t)/dt
ix = isource - i(t)

v(t) = voltage across capacitor
i(t) = current through capacitor

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to find v(t) then i(t) then ix using the equations I have.

I transformed the circuit so that the current source and resistor in parallel become a voltage source and resistor in parallel. The voltage source = 4mA * 2kOhm = 8 V

v(infinity) = 8V

My only real problem:
v(0) = ?

When the switch is closed, how is the circuit affected? Seems so trivial but I'm really confused as to what happens to the circuit at t=0 and finding v(0).

When the switch opens it's easy - a simple RC circuit. But I'm having a hard time understanding what happens to the circuit while the switch is closed. My guess is all the current goes through the short closed switch and v(inifinity) = 0?

[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs399.ash2/67756_10150101801434992_712009991_7559768_7479272_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming a perfect switch with no contact resistance, the 4mA current will all go into the switch.
So, there is no voltage across the capacitor or the resistor.

When you open the switch, all the current will go into the capacitor, building up a voltage and hence feeding some current into the resistor. Eventually all the current will go into the resistor.

Ah thanks for the reply. Current taking the path of least resistance? I've been told not to believe it as it's not actually true but maybe that pertains to real life and not ideal circuits for problems i guess. Anyway thanks again!

Related to Basic RC Circuit but with parallel switch?

1. What is a basic RC circuit with parallel switch?

A basic RC circuit with parallel switch is a simple circuit that contains a resistor (R) and capacitor (C) connected in parallel, along with a switch that can be opened or closed to control the flow of current through the circuit. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices to control the charging and discharging of capacitors.

2. How does a parallel switch affect the behavior of a basic RC circuit?

A parallel switch allows for an additional path for current to flow in the circuit, which can affect the charging and discharging of the capacitor. When the switch is closed, the capacitor will charge through both the resistor and the switch, leading to a slower charging time. When the switch is open, the capacitor will discharge through only the resistor, resulting in a faster discharge time.

3. What is the time constant of a basic RC circuit with parallel switch?

The time constant of a basic RC circuit with parallel switch is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance, denoted as RC. This represents the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to approximately 63.2% of its maximum value.

4. How does the value of the resistor and capacitor affect the behavior of a basic RC circuit with parallel switch?

The value of the resistor and capacitor can greatly affect the behavior of a basic RC circuit with parallel switch. A higher resistance will result in a slower charging and discharging time, while a larger capacitance will lead to a longer time constant and slower changes in voltage. On the other hand, a lower resistance and smaller capacitance will result in faster charging and discharging times.

5. What are some practical applications of a basic RC circuit with parallel switch?

Basic RC circuits with parallel switches are commonly used in electronic devices such as timers, filters, and oscillators. They are also used in audio equipment to control the frequencies of sound waves. Additionally, these circuits are useful in power supplies to regulate the flow of electricity and protect against voltage spikes.