Basic Question -- Powering a small plasma ball with a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses powering a small plasma ball for a dance routine prop. The recommended solution is to use a USB powerbank with 2A output and a USB DC booster cable for 12V and at least 0.5A output. Another option is to use 8 flashlight batteries in series, but this requires finding battery holders or soldering. It is important to get the polarity correct for the plasma ball. Additionally, it is suggested to hide two power sources under the table for mobility on stage.
Dargeth
HI, I have embarked on a small project basically it is for my daughters dance routine prop.
I was wondering if I could power a small plasma ball with a battery.
The plasma ball power supply specs are: Output: DC 12V 350mA MAX 4.2W
It has to be mobile it will sit on a small table which has to be moved on and of the stage where she will dance.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rive said:
:welcome:

Keep it simple. Get an USB powerbank with 2A output, and one USB DC booster cable for 12V, with at least 0.5A output.
Thanks for that, the powerbank i have but the USB DC booster cable i don't know what it is but will investigate, thanks again

Dargeth said:
The plasma ball power supply specs are: Output: DC 12V 350mA MAX 4.2W
Or use 8 flashlight batteries in series. Penlight, size "AA", Alkalines should last at least half an hour. "D" size should be good for at least 4 hours. Of course this approach requires either finding battery holders or soldering to the batteries, which you may not want to do.

Whatever approach you use, be sure to get the "+" and "-" polarity correct to the globe, it probably does not have internal protection for reverse polarity.

Dargeth said:
It has to be mobile it will sit on a small table which has to be moved on and of the stage where she will dance.
Thanks.
Could you hide two of these under the table ?
upload_2018-5-1_0-7-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-1_0-7-31.png
    upload_2018-5-1_0-7-31.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 374
Likes dlgoff

Related to Basic Question -- Powering a small plasma ball with a battery

1. How does a plasma ball work?

A plasma ball works by using a high-voltage transformer to convert the electricity from the battery into a high frequency, high voltage current. This current creates an electromagnetic field inside the glass globe, ionizing the gas inside and producing the colorful plasma filaments.

2. Can a small battery power a plasma ball?

Yes, a small battery can power a plasma ball as long as it provides enough voltage to create the necessary electromagnetic field. However, the size and strength of the plasma filaments will be limited compared to those produced by a larger battery or power source.

3. What type of battery is best for powering a plasma ball?

The best type of battery for powering a plasma ball is one with a high voltage output, such as a lithium-ion or alkaline battery. It is important to also consider the size and type of the plasma ball, as well as the voltage and current requirements, when selecting a battery.

4. Is it safe to power a plasma ball with a battery?

As long as the battery is properly connected and the plasma ball is in good working condition, it is generally safe to power a plasma ball with a battery. However, it is important to follow all safety precautions and avoid touching the plasma filaments or the battery while the ball is in use.

5. Can a plasma ball be powered by renewable energy sources?

Yes, a plasma ball can be powered by renewable energy sources such as solar panels or wind turbines, as long as the energy output is sufficient to power the ball. This can be a fun and educational way to demonstrate the conversion of renewable energy into electricity.